The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rattle Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Having trouble locating an annoying engine rattle and wondering if anyone else has any suggestions before I cut the a/c belt to rule out the known stretchy belt issue.

The rattle is only present when warm and is most notible when backing into the garage or pulling away. It is evenident when just revving but not quite so pronounced and as it is reasonably random I don't believe it to be rotational.

I haved checked the exhaust shields and under trays but all look good.

Any suggestions.....?

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Did you check the side exhaust pipes? Make sure that everything is snug there....and that there isn't anything broken like a flex joint? Just thinking of something simple that could be potentially very annoying.

Wayne

GB218

TMO Addict
+1 for the side pipes.

I had a rattle/buzz on the passenger side. Drove me nuts. Thought it was in the door or the fender. It was really noticeable when in the garage. I loosened the 2 bolts connecting the side pipe and repositioned the side exhaust. Tightened the bolts and it's been fine ever since.

This probably won't help you but you have to get creative sometimes. I had a 3/4" rock land on top of the passenger side exhaust tip. It settled between the rocker panel and the exhaust. The sound telegraphed to inside the door and it really made some noise.

Happy hunting. The small things can drive you nuts.

I have a similar rattle, but thought it was from a few hard missed shifts. Sounds stupid, but a little weary of taking it back to the track until I can figure out what it is. I think ill take a look at the side pipes and make sure that's not my issue either.

Still hunting... :(

Side pipes look OK however ther has been a lttle development. We had a very hot day in Florida yesterday and for the first time the rattle was present at idle and would be cleared if air con was switched off and restart when aircon turned back on. Having said that it is back to normal and can't be directly linked to operating the air con......think the ac belt is about to be removed to make sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel