The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rattling noise when I full throttle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys. I just happened to notice a rattling sound when I gave the car full throttle while in 6th. Happened to notice it as I had the radio off. Was cruising at 60Mph or so and had something in my hand so I couldn't down shift as I had to speed up to avoid merging traffic. The rattle lasts for a few seconds right after I hit the throttle. Does it in 5th and 4th too, just not as loud. Lower gears the car is too loud to hear. I don't track her, and she has just under 5K miles.

Thought maybe loose exhaust hangers or something but it sounds like it is up front. Any thoughts?

It might be your side exhaust rattling against the floor pan. It's happened to several of us.

I'll check it out. Noises are deceptive, sounds like its coming from the engine bay. What did you do to fix it?

loosen the two bolts at the flange, where the side pipe connects to the mid pipe. rotate the side pipe a bit to gain clearance. you might have to loosen the bolt at the side pipe tip as well, securing the side pipe to the chassis.

have you tried having someone rev the engine while you check under the hood?

Exhaust grounding out can be deceptive. The sound moves through the whole system. I swore I had a bad right front wheel bearing in my charger and it turned out to be my exhaust grounding on the diff under hard cornering.

If it sounds like its from the engine bay or cats, it could be detonation. Bad gas maybe? What do you usually run? Noises like these are hard to diagnose definitively.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Zquez said:
If it sounds like its from the engine bay or cats, it could be detonation. Bad gas maybe? What do you usually run? Noises like these are hard to diagnose definitively.

+1.

Sounds like you could have detonation when lugging the engine in higher gears. The computer is most likely pulling timing out making the detonation go away.

Bad/wrong gas could be the root cause.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel