The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Raybestos brake pad problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got around to the first front brake job on the fronts.I located a set of Raybestos EHT 1050 pads.The rotors looked like new-very smooth across with absolute no gouges or scrapes.They are true with no warp.After about 100 miles of gentile break in,I decided to try a high speed run and a quick stop.Stomping on the brake pedal,it felt almost like a ABS feel,and the brakes sounded terrible.Like my old 2002 GMC- hard brake-ABS lock up sound.Not a grinding sound,but almost like they are not releasing,not sure.Then i tried another stop,but not that hard,and same thing.I just went over the front end,and also pulled out the pads .They look awsome so they went back in.It sounds like the right front may be the area,but it's hard to tell.Normal braking is fine.I noticed these pads are a hybrid ceramic and semi-metalic compound.I checked all strut and swaybar bolts.I did recal reading about a recall of front lower control arms last year.Could it be these pads? Or possible a defective controll arm?I'm kinda stumped,after I have gone through it twice now,and the rotors and pads look great.

I'm not familiar with those pads. Are they track/race pads? If so some race pads make a noise like sand paper. Just curious why you didn't install the OEM pads?

They sound harsh and can feel it in the pedal,just like stomping on the pedal in the rain-that ABS grrrrr sound.Pretty sure its the pass front.Still thinking it might be something else.And I'm not sure why I didn't get OEM pads.I think these were readily available.I may try that if I have no luck.The car only will see only spirited street use.Any other pads besides the factory Brembo?

boss742 said:
They sound harsh and can feel it in the pedal,just like stomping on the pedal in the rain-that ABS grrrrr sound.Pretty sure its the pass front.Still thinking it might be something else.And I'm not sure why I didn't get OEM pads.I think these were readily available.I may try that if I have no luck.The car only will see only spirited street use.Any other pads besides the factory Brembo?

If it's just for street use, then lots of pads will work. I like the Stoptech pads myself, and even use them on the track, though I'm probably not as fast as a lot of people here are. They do exhibit some fade on track, but it hasn't been a lot (their falloff is apparently fairly gradual).

For your purposes, they should work nicely. They're relatively inexpensive, about $70 per set for the fronts (StopTech 309.10010) from Amazon.

That said, there may be better pads than these out there. The Stoptech ones will generate a fair amount of dust, so if that's a concern, you might try something else.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

TMO Supporting Vendors