The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Raybestos ST45 vs ST43 - any experience with 45 up front?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Greetings!

I've run the ST43 up front and out back for the past 3 seasons. I'm happy with the pad and its characteristics. I'll still be running on 18x10 200tw Hankook RS4 and that wont' change for the life of the pads, maybe 2-3 sets of pads or a couple of seasons even.

The Raybestos catalog claims that the ST45 pairs well with the 47 up front, but I think the 47 is more for race tires and the such adn I think based on my experience with the 43, that the 47 would be wayyyyy too much.

So that leaves me with the ST45. I've read that ti's just marginally more torque, marginally more rotor wear, and a lot less pad wear than the ST43. However, some don't like it for the same reason lots don't like the Raybestos stuff... they're more difficult to modulate.

Does anyone have experience with the pad?

Also, I've been happy with the ST43, so I suppose there may not be a call to change it since it isn't broke? I'm just curious if the 45 wears better and is worth it.

Also of note - I'm now running a 14" rotor with 4 piston fixed caliper vs all my experience in the past is with the 2 piston slider. Should I stick to changing one variable at a time and leave the pads alone for the time being for that reason?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Scoots, my outlook, since I am not a brilliant engineer ( or brilliant anything ), was to ask myself two questions:
1. Am I going faster?
2. Are my pads wearing out sooner?

If my times were quicker and my pads seemed to have less life I decided maybe I should move up to a more aggressive pad.

Since I tend to overthink things at times, I did use this method to make a decision to switch pads. Impressed that I actually gave someone a fairly brief bit of advice?

Not a direct answer perhaps, but my 2 cents...

I went with ST-47's in the front and ST-45's in the rear a couple years ago. No problem with the 47's in the front, and I wouldn't worry about them being too much brake, but we all drive differently I suppose. My issue with the 45's was that they seemed to leave a residue on the rears. I acquired some used 43's that I put in the back, and I used them for a long time. Don't recall the exact count, but I got 10~12 weekends out of them!

I've swapped over to the Cobalt XR1's for the front mid last year (with the 43's still in the rear). This weekend I'll be using XR2's in the rear, curious to see how they feel. I like a lot of bite from fronts, and I definitely like the Cobalts over the Raybestos.

@Scootsmcgreggor Still liking the XR1's. No issues with the change to XR2's in the rear as well, so would have to say similar to the 43's. Probably the hardest braking area I've used them on is the back-straight at Eagle's Canyon - slowing from ~120 mph to ~50mph. They work well and when I waited a bit too late to brake a couple times, I was able to still slow the car and turn without drama - just didn't hit the apex smooth. (not a standard turn, a blind uphill left before an immediate downhill right)

Also, the wear is great, only a few mm of wear after 7 or so weekends. (Can't swear to it, but probably 25% or less of usage?) I ran them with R888R's and have switched to RR's this year, but only 3 single-day events so far this year. My youngest just graduated HS, so virtual empty nester in a few weeks, so hope to get some more track time in the fall! 😉

Sure! I definitely recommend the Cobalts. I also have a buddy using them on a 2013 GT-500, and his comments would align with mine.

Yeah, I said "virtual" as they are in college, but it will be strange this fall! Also, will be harder on Mom.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel