The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RE-71 vs Rival S 1.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
They are both Nankang but they are not the same tire. Very different tread pattern on them.

AR-1

CR-1

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
They are both Nankang but they are not the same tire. Very different tread pattern on them.

AR-1

CR-1
Thanks JDee. I hope they release some 19s on the 200TW. For now I think I'll go with the RivalS1.5 based on the great feedback in this discussion.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Nankang tires are showing up at some Time Trials and doing pretty well , but they are often shaved ( according to a friend who asks to remain nameless ) and some may be on cars that have Corporate Sponsorship --- rumor only. The key is they seem to be another alternative , though they are not always less than other track rubber. I always suggest folks check pricing and I will admit to being partial to American made tires ( Hoosiers, BFGs, etc. ) for a fairly simple and rational reason -- they do not tend to have as many supply shortages. This has nothing to do with tariffs , etc. it is a decades old situation, tires from Europe and Asia are shipped over and there are things that can delay them.

PS - Nankang Tires are not made on Mainland China, they are a Taiwanese Company so they have not been hammered with various tariffs.

Good to see all the Manufacturers looking towards getting the business of those who track/autocross as it gives us all more options and meets more of our various needs. Some TMO members will be ultra competitive and others will just want to go fast , legally , and they want a tire that will last longer, though it may be slower.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I don't know where the AR1 or CR1 are being made but Nankang has 1 tire plant in China and 2 in Taiwan. Here is the new list of tire plant codes. Tires are made all over the world and not always where you think.

edit, got curious, looked up the tires on phils tire service and both tires have pics in which, you can just barely make out the plant code of U8, which is one of the Taiwan plants.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info, I was told by the friend they were being made in Taiwan, and the company started there , but interesting note that they now also have a plant in Mainland China ---- learn something new every day.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel