The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RE-71 vs Rival S 1.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Hey folks,
Does anyone have experience comparing these two tires? Or are they close enough that it just doesn’t matter?

Will be used:
- HPDE only at VIR and Road Atlanta; no autoX
- no winter driving
- ambient temps usually between 65-90. (did VIR once on a 97 deg weekend...ooof) I try to avoid July/early Aug
- skill level: yellow (solo) on a “green-yellow-blue-red“ scale.
- current wheels are 19x10f, 19x11r. Might go square. I’ve seen all the good discussion in the forums on that subject, so I get it.
- 4-6 events per year (2-day events)

Or, if you think I’m not looking at the right tires, I’m all ears. The advice I’ve gotten so far is that until I’m more experienced I should stay away from slicks and such so I can get more tire feedback.

I‘ve read many of the reviews on Tire Rack, but I’m always suspicious...e.g. if they complain of traction fall-off after 3 laps, does that mean they just have their tire pressures wrong? Driving skill level? And they rarely mention track temps.

Much thanks in advance! You guys rock!

- James

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would go square for long term tire life ( since you can rotate ). Sure it might cost a bit more initially to get a set of 19x11s all around, but long term you will get a lot more usage out of your tires. I would go with the Rival S 1.5s for track use as they seem to give on a bit longer time prior to getting greasy. But, check with Luke Pavlik ( ext. 4362 ) at TireRack and if you get a set make sure he gives credit to TMO --- we have a link on the site and it helps the Forum cost a small amount. He has been auto crossing and road racing for over 21 years, so he walks the walk and talks the talk at TireRack. He can give you a unbiased opinion of what he sees with drivers around the US, or he may know if the tracks you run are easier or harder on various tires?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I would go square for long term tire life ( since you can rotate ). Sure it might cost a bit more initially to get a set of 19x11s all around, but long term you will get a lot more usage out of your tires. I would go with the Rival S 1.5s for track use as they seem to give on a bit longer time prior to getting greasy. But, check with Luke Pavlik ( ext. 4362 ) at TireRack and if you get a set make sure he gives credit to TMO --- we have a link on the site and it helps the Forum cost a small amount. He has been auto crossing and road racing for over 21 years, so he walks the walk and talks the talk at TireRack. He can give you a unbiased opinion of what he sees with drivers around the US, or he may know if the tracks you run are easier or harder on various tires?
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. I’ll give Luke a call.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
He kept me posted on compound changes with Autocross/Road Racing tires over the years , as well as letting me know if something was coming up, so I am sure he will help you make a decision.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
One word, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (not 3r) would be a pretty good option for what you want. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (tirerack.com)

Definitely not RE71. BFG probably OK, but for no autox use, the Goodyear might be better.

DaveW
OK. They look good, but I’ve been afraid of Goodyear since I had the Gatorbacks on my ‘89 IROC 30 years ago. Constant problems with those. But maybe I should let bygones be bygones. That’s a long grudge. 😂

OK. They look good, but I’ve been afraid of Goodyear since I had the Gatorbacks on my ‘89 IROC 30 years ago. Constant problems with those. But maybe I should let bygones be bygones. That’s a long grudge. 😂

Tires have come a long way in that time, but I do understand grudges. :)

I have many track day customers using the GY SC3 and liking it very much for both performance and wear. Of course, I also have customers who track RE71 and burn them up in a single weekend, because that is a (discontinued) autocross tire. Rivals are better/more tolerant, but even the 1.5 is a softer compound for autocross use.

I would look hard at the GY in your shoes.

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
JP-X, I felt your pain. I hated Goodyears, which dated back to the junk they made in the late 80's early 90's. But, I've been very pleased with my supercar3's. Have used them both at autocross and at VIR. Not a lot of wear and very consistent lap after lap. I'm running 19X11 square, 25mm spacer up front, with 305-30/19 all around. But to your original question, I'm with Bill on the Rivals over the RE71

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
+1 for the Supercar 3 tires. These tires have tremendous grip! I was blown away the first time I used them.
Most reviews say they are very consistent and a great HPDE tire but I found them to get greasy after a few laps. Granted I'm no tire nor driving expert but over the four sessions in the day, each and every session after about the 4th or so lap, I'd start sliding around more than the first hot lap of that session.
If you can get RS4 or NT01 tires, I would vote for those as a HPDE or "learner" tire where you can go lap after lap.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I‘ve read many of the reviews on Tire Rack, but I’m always suspicious...e.g. if they complain of traction fall-off after 3 laps, does that mean they just have their tire pressures wrong? Driving skill level? And they rarely mention track temps.
These are very good observations and questions. Even here, you have to consider who is setting the pressures and their ultimate goal for their use.

One more thing to consider is also the relative wheel width that the reviewer is using. Any given tire isn’t the same in a ‘pinched’ vs ‘stretched’ installation.

Even the advice to run square is a bit overused here. Safe advice for anyone who hasn’t yet learned to manage the wear on a staggered setup...or a square setup.

My suggestion is to get the most cost effective ~200ish TW set that fits what you have. Rivals and R-s4 should be on your list to check. Learning on different tires is a good thing. How else would you ‘build’ your own experience?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
Another thing you should consider to get the more wear and performance out of any tire (If you don't have them already) : Caster Camber plates. Having that extra camber will make your front tires wear about 2x slower / They will pay for themselves quickly. I might see you at Road Atlanta. I live nearby and will probably make my way back out to a few track days this year.

MD
No experience with the bridgestone but ran Rival 1.5s (315/18) last year. They seem to be just as fast as some 100TWs but sensitive to heat and abuse.

I ruined them pretty quickly on a two day weekend at pitt race with rotation (-3*F/-2.5*R camber). In hindsight, the cold pressures were probably set too low (28psi) and they were run too long in each session. How quickly they heat up, late May heat, and my lack of familiarity with the track favoring the driver side tires were also contributing factors.

They are fast but wear quickly if not cared for; can be flipped inside out to extend their life. I will not run them again for DE but would try them again for 200TW TT.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
No experience with the bridgestone but ran Rival 1.5s (315/18) last year. They seem to be just as fast as some 100TWs but sensitive to heat and abuse.

I ruined them pretty quickly on a two day weekend at pitt race with rotation (-3*F/-2.5*R camber). In hindsight, the cold pressures were probably set too low (28psi) and they were run too long in each session. How quickly they heat up, late May heat, and my lack of familiarity with the track favoring the driver side tires were also contributing factors.

They are fast but wear quickly if not cared for; can be flipped inside out to extend their life. I will not run them again for DE but would try them again for 200TW TT.

Mike, I’ve found that the Rivals like a higher pressure than what’s been recommended by other Mustang drivers with different tires. They are much closer to the 1 psi per 100# rule of thumb, which for my car is 38# hot. BF Goodrich specs 35-45 optimal hot pressure range. I started with lower pressures (34 hot) and they would feel greasy after a few laps, but once I started running the higher pressures, the tire will easily stay consistent through a 20 minute session, and consistently fast down to the cords.

Running at 38 psi and staying on top of rotation, I had 29 heat cycles on the 305/30-19’s and should be at 20ish on 315/30-18’s. Mix of tracks on both sets. Being lazy on rotation I corded the fronts of a 315/30-18 set after 12 heat cycles, with lots of meat left on the rears.

https://m.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BFG_R1-R1S.pdf

MD
Mike, I’ve found that the Rivals like a higher pressure than what’s been recommended by other Mustang drivers with different tires. They are much closer to the 1 psi per 100# rule of thumb, which for my car is 38# hot. BF Goodrich specs 35-45 optimal hot pressure range. I started with lower pressures (34 hot) and they would feel greasy after a few laps, but once I started running the higher pressures, the tire will easily stay consistent through a 20 minute session, and consistently fast down to the cords.

Running at 38 psi and staying on top of rotation, I had 29 heat cycles on the 305/30-19’s and should be at 20ish on 315/30-18’s. Mix of tracks on both sets. Being lazy on rotation I corded the fronts of a 315/30-18 set after 12 heat cycles, with lots of meat left on the rears.

That's what I figured after seeing how inconsistent the wear was. This confirms it, thank you. I now have a pyrometer to help avoid making the same mistake.

I gave Luke a call, based on my needs (driving to tracks, no trailer) and running square 305/30/19, I'm going with RS4. I'll do the affiliate page when ordering, just for you! (RS4's aren't going to be on sale until Mid-march)

TX
What's everyone recommendation for an R compound "practice" tire on a high horsepower car? Looking for something to use while doing instructing/ride-a-longs, etc. Just need something to get a decent amount of hours out of that is grippy enough to still keep the car and rides fun.

I've been using the 315 Cup 2s and they're doing okay. Heat cycle pretty quick, tho.

I gave Luke a call, based on my needs (driving to tracks, no trailer) and running square 305/30/19, I'm going with RS4. I'll do the affiliate page when ordering, just for you! (RS4's aren't going to be on sale until Mid-march)

I was going to mention these, then couldn't remember if it came in your size and was going to look it up and post back and got distracted. Anyway, this should be a good choice for you.

DaveW

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal

This is very interesting. I'm curious now if the Supercar 3 tires like a higher pressure as well. I have been targeting 34# hot and they were getting greasy for me after a few laps. I'll have to try out 38# next time and see if that helps

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
This is very interesting. I'm curious now if the Supercar 3 tires like a higher pressure as well. I have been targeting 34# hot and they were getting greasy for me after a few laps. I'll have to try out 38# next time and see if that helps

Lap times will always be the validation, but consistency throughout the session is also a big factor when the hot pressure is right. I check pressures after each session, but I’m not really sophisticated with a pyrometer, etc. I noticed the car was faster in earlier session and then would fall off as the day went on - just chalked it up to rising ambient and track temps. Then it donned on me that I was lowering hot pressures back below the sweet spot, again based on lap times and handling characteristics. Tried running higher hot pressures, and now lap times are consistent throughout the day and tire wear is greatly improved. I later learned the 1 psi per 100# rule of thumb, which was really close for me. Long story short, use the 1 psi per 100# for a starting point, and then let lap times and handling dictate your final setting.

TMO Supporting Vendors