The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Re: E-brake failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I pull the boss out of the garage and park it running ( to warm up) and pull my e-brake. I get out to close my garage door and lock it from the inside. As I walk out the door I hear a loud POP! I watch the boss roll into a tree. The e-brake was pulled fully up and lever had fallen completely down. No cable broken.

I searched if there are anybody else with this problems on ANY other 2011 -14 mustangs, and found nothing. Has anybody had the same.w problem here or know of anybody the I could talk to about this matter? I'm very upset and very much want to have this problem looked into.

thank you.

The best way to avoid this happening is ALWAYS leave it in gear. At the track after a session this is preferable as well since your brakes are hot and need to cool. The E-brake can supplement but leaving it in 1st gear is the best way to ensure it never rolls back on you.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I had this happen at work in my 1989 Mustang (I learned a valuable lesson about making sure it's in gear also )
My car rolled out of parking lot, across the front lawn, across 2 lanes of traffic, down a person's yard, curved around back and hit the above ground pool. Causing damage and replacing pool. ::)
I had no idea until a State Trooper came into work and asked ( DO YOU OWN A BLUE MUSTANG) me sweating nervously, yeah... LOL

Kind of hard to leave it in gear while it's warming up. ;)

Welcome to BMO. I have not heard of this happening before. Good luck with the repairs.

NFSBOSS said:

Welcome to BMO. I have not heard of this happening before. Good luck with the repairs.

Doh! I missed that part. ;D

These E-brakes can be finicky. I remember going for a drive and having my right rear brakes start to smoke. I pulled everything apart to see if there was something wrong with the cable or something and everything was as it was supposed to be. I put the car back together without touching anything and drove it again with no issues.

You could always just get some chocks and pretend you're a pilot doing his pre-flight walk around. ;)

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
NFSBOSS said:

Great point

Thank you. The repair process so far has been a joke. Its been painted three times... they can't get the paint to match. I finaly got my car back a 9 day repair took 45 days.

TMO Supporting Vendors