The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RE71R - Competition Tire Pressures - Track and Autoslalom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
In F Street I was using 285 RE71Rs on 19x9 front and 19x9.5 rears (Boss 302), with pressures about the same as DaveW at the start of a run. For a day in the low- to mid-60s, I'd be on the lower end of the range (32F/28R), hoping to work the tire carcass a bit more to build heat through the run. Because of the narrower front wheel, I liked to use a few pounds more to help turn-in feel. Only mod at the time was the StranoParts 8419 1" hollow rear bar, I think middle hole (so 185 lb/in vs Boss 250 lb/in).

Autocross in the low 60s temps are getting marginal for R-comps, including the fast 200TW tires. Here in New England, March and November events can be pretty interesting. A couple years ago, the forecast called for a high in the low 50s and light rain. I ran my daily driver Fiesta ST on snow tires in HS and was holding raw FTD until the afternoon when the rain let up and a 2-driver AWD Street Mod on Hoosiers got me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
San Diego
In response to request for additional RE71R Track Tire Pressures I offer the following:

Just ran two days @ Auto Club ROVAL while enjoying low-mid 70 degree sunshine & overnight temps in the low 50's. Our 2012 Boss was equipped with brand new RE71s (save for approx. 100 miles driving to the track) mounted on 19 x 10 inch HRE rims (squared set-up). The alignment specs were set to -3 Camber; 7.4 Caster and .0625 Toe-in. Suspension mods that could impact tire performance included Steeda Boss 302 Perf. Lowing Springs as well as Koni Yellow Shocks & Struts.

I used an initial Cold Tire Pressures setting of 26.5 psi on the LF/LR/RR & 27psi on the RF all day long. Hot Tire Pressures immediately upon re-entering the Paddock were 32-33psi. The RE71s performed flawlessly and generally ran consistent Inside/Middle/Outside tire temperatures all day using a IR gun.

This set-up yielded competitive competitive Lap (Time Thread) times (Race Hero) of 1:54s both days. Interestingly enough, the faster times occurred on both the 1st and the 6th/7th laps of morning as well as afternoon sessions which diminishes, to me, comments about RE71s getting greasy after they heat up a bit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel