The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Read my brake pads... Tell me my future!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, well... these are the pads I have been having trouble with lately. I'm surprised they are so non-uniform across the faces of the pads.

Any ideas as to why?

P1040577.JPG

P1040578.jpg

Update: These pads were more worn in the center than they are at the edges.

Only when I put each pad against a flat surface could I really tell.

So I think what happened was this:

1) inadequate break in
2) glazed the pad
3) somehow wore the center of each pad more than the edges
4) drove around on it for a week with each pad really only using the outside edges. That's why the outer rim of each pad in the original photo looks unglazed.

I sanded each pad for a while this evening against a flat surface, and now you can see only the center areas of each pad are still a little glazed looking.

P1040588.jpg

Also, when you were taking the pads out, was the metal spring one straight?
I noticed one of mine somehow got rotated a bit last time, which could cause the pads not to retract as effectively.

HackBoss302... I don't recall if I had Advanced Track on or off. I try to turn it all the way off for each track session, but i've botched it a few times.

There was also a session that I forgot to remove my brake duct covers... that probably wasn't so good for my temps.

In any case, these pads don't seem to work for me, my braking style, or my hardware... I never understood why. It's possible it's a combination of "high horsepower, heavy car, bad braking habits".

As for the metal spring... do you mean the spring that the two pins hold in? Is that really meant to help the pads retract? that's surprising to me, given how it's designed. (but wtf do *I* know?)

For what it's worth, I've since switched to new rotors (slotted this time) and Carbotech XP20 pads in the front. I've done two track days on them and they have been okay. Not "amazing, look what a genius I am for buying them"... but they are good enough and I felt pretty confident that they could stop the car, allowing me to push deeper into the braking zones.

However, on these carbotechs too I've seen some splotchy transfer onto the rotor surface, most prominently at the center of friction surface... and felt a little of a thumping in my brake pedal at the beginning of each session... but once the brakes heat up they got better. Unlike the Pagids, which got worse as the day went on.

I asked the guys at Carbotech about my pad problems, and they suggested it might be due to the lower max temps of the Pagid RS-29. The yellows have a max temp of "750 °C", as opposed to the XP20 pads at "1093°C". Or maybe they were just trying to sell me some brake pads :)

I'm not sure if my XP20 fronts are overheating or not... but they do seem to transfer unevenly onto the rotors, which isn't ideal.

I wonder if I'd have such transfer if I'd used another rotor manufacturer? I've been using Centric rotors so far.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Bill Pemberton said:
Steveespo said it all in one simple sentence ---------------------get 24s!!!

Sorry Guys, I disagree. XP24's are total overkill for our car, especially if you are not running slicks. This is not just my opinion, ask my friend Ken at KNS. ANd yes, we both sell Carbotechs. This is not caused by an overheating issue, it looks like a glazing issue or the backing plates were/are getting warped (?).

As for the statement from CarboTech on RS-29's - let's just say they may just be trying to sell pads. I'll leave it at that. I have NEVER seen an RS-29 burn up. Period. As for the glazing on the RS-29's, yes it can happen to them as they are endurance pads. They NEED a good hot bedding and typically like to be wed to new rotors if a previous brand was used. When it does happen, it eventually wears off.

-Pete

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Carbotech™ XP24™

XP24™ is the pinnacle compound of the extremely successful XP™ Series of compounds engineered by Carbotech™. This compound is based on the same fundamentals that exist in all other Carbotech™ formulations. XP24™ has even more initial bite, more overall bite, and more torque along with the most linear torque curve we have ever offered. The thermal characteristics are of the highest Carbotech™ offers along with one of the highest coefficient of friction ratings offered by anyone in the braking industry. This compound is the longest wearing compound Carbotech™ offers as it was originally engineered for endurance applications at the highest pro racing levels. This revolutionary new compound has been extremely successful with open wheel, closed wheel, sprint and endurance applications. XP24™ has a temperature range of 400°F to 2000°F+ (204°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP24™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise along with the necessary heat required to work properly.

I think a 3875 lb Mustang braking from 135 mph to 65 mph creates more heat and load on a pad than a 3450 lb Corvette braking from similar speeds especially since the Z06 has more pad surface area than the Mustang. I run the 24s for performance and durability over other compounds and brands I have tried. (Not Pagid because they don't make the shape yet, with the 2015 running the 6 piston Brembos I'm sure that will change.)
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors