The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ready to purchase my first 2012 BOSS 302 !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi,

I'm new here and I am just about ready to sign the paperwork on (what I'm hoping) is a fantastic deal on on 2012 BOSS 302.

Typically in Canada right now, the 2012's are going for > $40K.

This 2012 white one (de-decaled), is going for far less.... $27.9k

So, the catch is its had 3 bangs up front ( FR/FC/FC), but Ford credit ( the prior 'owner' ) has it all fixed up to 'spec' and its classed as 'normal' on the CsrProof reports....

I drove it yesterday, and it feels great, straight and blooody awesome. Fastest machine I've ever driven. Its well, you know.

I put a deposit on her, and asked them to run it over with a fine toothed comb at an independent Ford dealer, at their expense, and if it looks good on the report...I'm all in.

Guys.... should I be concerned with the accident history and walk away, or accept its been fixed to spec ( albeit flawed), and go for it feeling lucky I got a great price?

One concern ( its kinda big) is the last bang it was in...the est. was large. I noticed the engine sticker behind the BOSS logo on the block on top is unfortunately missing.... Is there any way to find the matching VIN elsewhere on the block besides the sticker on top? Basically, what if the engine was destroyed, and replaced and they decided to yank the stickers off the replacement to hide the fact it was replaced?

Stupid?

In all honesty I want this totally awesome machine, and if I never resell it I'll be happy with it for ever. I just dont want to be ripped off by a potentially shady history... I don't mind if the car was in an accident...as long as it was fixed back up to spec!

Thanks for any feeback you can give me...hopfully soon, as the deal is hinging on the inspection in the next 2 days. I'm hopefully looking forward to becoming a new and happy owner of the 2012 BOSS 302!

just my 2 cents...There are alot of used bosses out there that have never been in an accident let alone 3x. I understand everything about the cost of the car but do remember one thing...You get what you pay for or if its to good to be true..well you get the picture. Can the dealer give you an extended warranty for the just in case. Not sure of the build date (car sold) but the bumper to bumper warranty may be ending this year on a 2012. Good luck in making your decision.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
De-decaled because the previous accidents didn't bother to replace them? I'd insist that the dealer reapply the decals if the independent (not sure how you can know for sure) inspection comes back ok. Why not ask the dealer to provide the information on the engine? Is it the original block?

Don't suppose you got the owners kit? Were there any mods done to the car, or is it bone stock? Still riding on the original P-Zeros, or new rubber? Has the Trackey tune been installed? You can always start it with the red key and check...

It's easy to fall in love with such a great Mustang, but don't get suckered in by a low price if you get some negative feedback. You could always find another one and pay a little more for one that was undamaged, and is all original. It would be interesting to see the dealers reaction if you decide to walk away. Will the price drop even lower? I'd get suspicious if it looks like they are trying to move this ASAP.

With a checkered past, I'd see if they would include an extended warranty so help seal the deal. It never hurts to ask, and all they can do is say no...

Good luck.

Take the free advice from the older folks here, missing way to many parts for me, vin plate is a big problem for the engine for me...and never fall in love with something that cannot fall in love with you! My 2 cents run from this one, try and get your deposit back, and locate another one.

ace72ace said:
De-decaled because the previous accidents didn't bother to replace them? I'd insist that the dealer reapply the decals if the independent (not sure how you can know for sure) inspection comes back ok. Why not ask the dealer to provide the information on the engine? Is it the original block?

Don't suppose you got the owners kit? Were there any mods done to the car, or is it bone stock? Still riding on the original P-Zeros, or new rubber? Has the Trackey tune been installed? You can always start it with the red key and check...

It's easy to fall in love with such a great Mustang, but don't get suckered in by a low price if you get some negative feedback. You could always find another one and pay a little more for one that was undamaged, and is all original. It would be interesting to see the dealers reaction if you decide to walk away. Will the price drop even lower? I'd get suspicious if it looks like they are trying to move this ASAP.

With a checkered past, I'd see if they would include an extended warranty so help seal the deal. It never hurts to ask, and all they can do is say no...

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the window stickers provided which show the original build etc. the decals were removed as a no charge option at the factory. All boss stripes deleted

Only other options were the recaro seats and Torsen upgrade.

They did offer an extended warranty for a couple of thousand more. It's still got a factory warranty and anything fixable under warranty is going to be done early this week.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I think at the end of the day your decision has to be something that you are happy with. As far as three accidents? The repair history is documented some where, you just have to find it if you want to know the extent of the accident damage. You should do your own due diligence, and do not take anyone's word for things like, "oh yea, it has a clean car fax, they didn't report it". And always check the dates of any independent VIN history report.

Have the Ford dealer verify the Factory repair/maintenance/warranty history.

If the Ford dealer inspecting the car is working for you, then a good inspection of the vehicle will provide you with information an the severity of the shunt, i.e. frame rail and floor pan damage repair. Currently there is a salvage Boss 302 on eBay (un-repaired, title stamped "SALVAGE"), for $17,000 and change.

To make a good decision, you need as much information as possible to satisfy your concerns. Wait until you get the report from the Dealer, if it was really bad, they should tell you to walk. If you can remove you heart from the decision process, you will make a better decision.

Good luck with your inspection and keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

KYBOSSLS said:
Take the free advice from the older folks here, missing way to many parts for me, vin plate is a big problem for the engine for me...and never fall in love with something that cannot fall in love with you! My 2 cents run from this one, try and get your deposit back, and locate another one.

Thanks for the feedback.

My original budget was sub-30K , and the original plan was to go for a 2011-2012 GT. The BOSS doesn't show up in western canada too much for sale ( I think on the autotrader at the moment, there are 10 Canada wide for 2012, and most in Eastern Canada - I'm in the west), 10 of them are in excess of 40K, this one about 10K cheaper...The GT's are a dime a dozen...

So what do I get for 10K cheaper? Potentially, a good car with a checkered past. I wasn't after a VIN-matching collectible or a car for re-sale down the road, I was and am after a serious performance car, to be kept for a long time.

Yes, the VIN engine sticker is missing, but I'm gonna follow up with the Ford guys as soon as its on the hoist. Is it another BOSS engine? Does anyone know the cost to replace an engine and bumper..thinking worst case (10K? 20K?), he put it through a tree and lost the engine, and ripped another engine from where?

Could Ford Credit even sell the car that was unsafe, or no longer officially the car they originally leased to this guy?

This is a tough one for me to walk away from, as I see the upside. I'm trying not to have blinders on here, to the potentially bad side of this.

302 Hi Pro said:
I think at the end of the day your decision has to be something that you are happy with. As far as three accidents? The repair history is documented some where, you just have to find it if you want to know the extent of the accident damage. You should do your own due diligence, and do not take anyone's word for things like, "oh yea, it has a clean car fax, they didn't report it". And always check the dates of any independent VIN history report.

Have the Ford dealer verify the Factory repair/maintenance/warranty history.

If the Ford dealer inspecting the car is working for you, then a good inspection of the vehicle will provide you with information an the severity of the shunt, i.e. frame rail and floor pan damage repair. Currently there is a salvage Boss 302 on eBay (un-repaired, title stamped "SALVAGE"), for $17,000 and change.

To make a good decision, you need as much information as possible to satisfy your concerns. Wait until you get the report from the Dealer, if it was really bad, they should tell you to walk. If you can remove you heart from the decision process, you will make a better decision.

Good luck with your inspection and keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

Thanks. The place I'm buying from is telling me if I don't like the Ford report, I can pull out the sale. This one is down on the CarProof history as being registration branding as NORMAL, not stolen, etc. Other branding choices it could have had are : 'Inspection Required, Non-repairable,Rebuilt, Salvage, Stolen). The first 2 repairs have small estimates and insurance claims ( a few thousand each, thats bumpers etc) The last one was big enough that it could be the price of the engine. What does an engine replacement cost? What does a frame straightening cost?

If something terrible is revealed by the Ford guys..., that its not safe, or it wasn't repaired to 'spec' then ok, I could pull out of this. If they tell me its a repaired engine, or a different engine ( but to 'spec') then what ? - I think I'm still ok with that scenario.

Oh, BTW Apparently it never came with red track key.

You might say now that you don't plan on selling or vin doesn't matter....I've been there, but things happen and we have to sell. If they replaced the engine, it will not have the sticker on the engine manifold, you can now buy them from many companies...items that were to be Boss only. I would request documentation from Ford stating that all repairs were done to specs and clear and if engine was replace, a letter stating that and the new engine number , etc. this way you have documentation and can satisfy a future buyer, especially say 30 years from now. Just think, would you buy a 1970 boss with a non Boss engine and pay much less.? Some might, but most want an original engine, since finding a used boss engine is hard for 69, 70 cars. In the end, it's what you feel comfortable and like. Good luck

raptor said:
You might say now that you don't plan on selling or vin doesn't matter....I've been there, but things happen and we have to sell. If they replaced the engine, it will not have the sticker on the engine manifold, you can now buy them from many companies...items that were to be Boss only. I would request documentation from Ford stating that all repairs were done to specs and clear and if engine was replace, a letter stating that and the new engine number , etc. this way you have documentation and can satisfy a future buyer, especially say 30 years from now. Just think, would you buy a 1970 boss with a non Boss engine and pay much less.? Some might, but most want an original engine, since finding a used boss engine is hard for 69, 70 cars. In the end, it's what you feel comfortable and like. Good luck

I just went over all the paperwork I was provided with yesterday. I have the extensive factory build sheets and VCIS information for this vehicle, including all the component tag numbers. This should be easy to tell if the engine was replaced....

In the Ford VCIS info, they have the Engine Tag ID: CG399AA.

Now, is this ID unique to this BOSS, or is this a 'parts no' for this block?

Any idea where this one might be found on the current block?

Thanks

boss man said:
just my 2 cents...There are alot of used bosses out there that have never been in an accident let alone 3x. I understand everything about the cost of the car but do remember one thing...You get what you pay for or if its to good to be true..well you get the picture. Can the dealer give you an extended warranty for the just in case. Not sure of the build date (car sold) but the bumper to bumper warranty may be ending this year on a 2012. Good luck in making your decision.

ace72ace said:

KYBOSSLS said:

All great advice and my advice is to wait and find another car. I doubt you'll be able to replace the serial number tag on the intake and that will be a biggie for the next owner. There are too many nice examples available to settle for a sub par vehicle. I'd expect the prices of Bosses to drop as soon as the GT350 is announced so be patient.

Where in Western Canada are you? I'm in B.C. If your not looking for an investment, go for it but be carefull, like someone else said, if it sounds to good to be true then It usually is. If you give me the vin, I can ask the guy who sold mine to me to look in to it for you. My wife now works at the Ford dealership I bought mine from. He will give me an honest answere Im sure. From what I understand the engines alone are around $15,000 Canadian to replace.

Jason said:
Where in Western Canada are you? I'm in B.C. If your not looking for an investment, go for it but be carefull, like someone else said, if it sounds to good to be true then It usually is. If you give me the vin, I can ask the guy who sold mine to me to look in to it for you. My wife now works at the Ford dealership I bought mine from. He will give me an honest answere Im sure. From what I understand the engines alone are around $15,000 Canadian to replace.

Cool thanks for the help!

VIN: 1ZVBP8CU7C5257498

Appreciate it!

Xboxer said:
Cool thanks for the help!

VIN: 1ZVBP8CU7C5257498

Appreciate it!

Also, i'm in Calgary, Alberta...

You're right...those engines are right up there, and you know it could very easily be the reason for the last high estimate on the CarProof.

But, the car has 36,000km, and if they replaced the engine (at 25,824km according to last claim on report), the car would have only about 10,000km on the replaced engine - would they not bother resetting the odo? Or even could they legally?

Engine ID 'was' Engine Tag ID: CG399AA...not sure if that helps. Also, the build sheet(s) were faxed over to the car lot from Marlbourough Ford in Calgary.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I would only buy it IF they added the stripe kit AND provided the extended warranty at NO additional cost. How would you feel if 6 mos from now you could have bought another one for a few grand more with less miles and zero accidents? I also hate that it's missing the original red key.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it... Bad juju. :-\

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Factory stripe delete is actually pretty cool and probably rare.

Still, I don't know that it's worth it. Frame damage is SOOO sketchy. My 2005 Lincoln Aviator was in a front end collision and the insurance elected to fix it. It was nothing but trouble until I finally dumped it...and it wasn't even a bad enough accident to need a replacement engine!

It's a roulette game you are about to play. I would guess the repair bill on that accident (to fix it right) would have been more than they are asking for it. As already stated, a crate boss engine is really expensive. When they were available, they retailed for $14,000 US.

It's a roll of the dice. My 2 cents is you will be stuck, so be sure you can afford it. You won't be able to trade it and the only person willing to buy it is someone like you which won't be easy.

Are you talking about the vin decal on the manifold or another?

If it was the manifold, too bad it's not a 13. I just found this on ebay and bought one in case anything happened to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181327523953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Good luck either way. There are good deals to be had. I met a gent this past weekend that bought a new black 2013 with track pack for $28K. Inventory will sit with new 15s coming.

pufferfish said:
Factory stripe delete is actually pretty cool and probably rare.

Still, I don't know that it's worth it. Frame damage is SOOO sketchy. My 2005 Lincoln Aviator was in a front end collision and the insurance elected to fix it. It was nothing but trouble until I finally dumped it...and it wasn't even a bad enough accident to need a replacement engine!

It's a roulette game you are about to play. I would guess the repair bill on that accident (to fix it right) would have been more than they are asking for it. As already stated, a crate boss engine is really expensive. When they were available, they retailed for $14,000 US.

Well, on the plus side - its a newer engine! Not sure I'd put a new exotic engine into a flawed chassis.

Having said that, I'm still not aware if it was replaced ( but leaning that way).

Darth Boss said:
It's a roll of the dice. My 2 cents is you will be stuck, so be sure you can afford it. You won't be able to trade it and the only person willing to buy it is someone like you which won't be easy.

Are you talking about the vin decal on the manifold or another?

If it was the manifold, too bad it's not a 13. I just found this on ebay and bought one in case anything happened to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181327523953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Good luck either way. There are good deals to be had. I met a gent this past weekend that bought a new black 2013 with track pack for $28K. Inventory will sit with new 15s coming.

It is a roll of the dice, I understand. But hopefully not a really expensive roll of the dice.

Iwas talking about the engine ID ser.no, it must be stamped in the block somewhere right? I have the engine ID from the build sheets...was wondering if the ford service guys doing the check tomorrow could find the engine tag no. on the current block.....i mean just tell me, yes its a new engine or no it isnt. either way, you better make sure that warranty covers everything they are gioing to rubber stamp.

The decal was removed on the current BOSS motor ( do Crate motors even have a decal on them?). {sigh}

I have never, ever heard of a 'factory stripe delete' for the Boss. GT500s yes, Bosses no.

Run away from this car. There is a reason it is so cheap - if it were a decent car, the asking price would be higher.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it seems too good to be true, it generally is.

TMO Supporting Vendors