The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Real top speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
If the top speed wasn't limited electronically, what do you think these cars could achieve with an infinitely long straightaway?

I recall seeing someone post up on a different forum about having the top speed nanny turned off when they custom tuned their car... I believe he said he got his up to near 180 before he felt like there wasn't much left...was on a super speedway iirc. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it (might have been SVTP?) and if he had an LS or a regular Boss.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'd guess around 180 maybe a little less with the current rev limit and aero... Just a guess.

I Don't track and I would never knowingly go that fast on the street, but, i have been told by a semi reliable source, they will do all of 186 but you do need room to get there.
::)

I doubt a stock Boss would break 170.

Here is a Boss 302R at Daytona doing 173 mph.

boss_daytona_topspeed.jpg

So, that's:
  • stock engine (+exhaust)
  • stock aero, except for drag-inducing wing
  • open windows

It has a different transmission, but that is available to anyone and besides, gears is gears. It's the power + aero that is important and I think this is a real indicator. He still has lots of revs left. Roll the window up next time, champ. ;)

racered302 said:
What's up with that wind shield? Look's like a rear defroster only on the front

I think it's a defroster. ;)

No HVAC in this car in a high humidity environment (Hi, Florida!) could mean dangerous fog build-up on the windshield. If that is in fact what it is, that is a very nice detail. Don't have to deal with one of those "Oh no, we are out of Rain-X" moments.

Jimmy Pribble said:

So, that's:
  • open windows

It has a different transmission, but that is available to anyone and besides, gears is gears. It's the power + aero that is important and I think this is a real indicator. He still has lots of revs left. Roll the window up next time, champ. ;)

This is Roger Miller in the #158 302R at the 2013 BMW Performance 200 at Daytona. Started 24th finished 10th. Very good learning tool . He has other videos from tracks around the country. This full race video is on you tube

Sesshomurai

Jimmy Pribble said:

So, that's:
  • open windows

Transmission gearing and wheel size play a large role in top speed.

DGRacing said:
Transmission gearing and wheel size play a large role in top speed.

Yes. In my example, I demonstrate that only gearing and tire changes will take a Boss from 155ish mph, to at least 173 mph.

My gearing comment had to do with addressing the differences between the street 302 and the 302R race car. The question was asking specifically about the street car, but I answered by using the race car as an example. i was defending my example as being substantially relevant (re: aero and power).

Jimmy Pribble said:

So, that's:
  • open windows

James, I think this definitively proves that Kona Blue is the fastest Boss 302 color. ;D

Jimmy Pribble said:

So, that's:
  • open windows

It’s hard to roll up a window that doesn’t exist. The windows are removed to accommodate the NASCAR style side impact bars.

CobraR77 said:
It’s hard to roll up a window that doesn’t exist. The windows are removed to accommodate the NASCAR style side impact bars.

Oops. Guess I didn't make my winky big enough.

$(KGrHqJ,!k4E4lmZ-m-cBOTS2hW+LQ~~48_35.jpg

There you go.

Jimmy "Somewhat familiar with race cars" Pribble ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors