The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Real world experience: Michelin PSS vs BFG Sport Comp 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
I need a new set of tires for this summer too. I've been running Nitto NT-05, and want to take a step up, but not to slicks yet.
Narrowed it down to Hankook RS3 and BFG Rivals.
I might give the 275 width Rivals a shot. If I like them, maybe next year a set of SVT drift wheels in 18x10 for 295 on the Rivals for more tire on the pavement.

I didn't think the BFG SC2 came out for the mustangs until late 2011 early 2012. Maybe they just didn't have the one's to fit the Boss yet.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I have the SC2's on my stock wheels and tracked them last weekend. They are nowhere near as good as the NT01's I have. I would not recomend them for track use. I had no confidence in them and they broke loose a lot.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
boro92 said:
If it helps anyone who is shopping... I found a vid of an instructor driving a GT around MMP on the BFG SC2 tires:

They scream for life, but they still hold their line. There are some sections where he dials in more steering to tighten the line...you hear the tire squeal increase, but it still doesn't let up on the traction. Looks better than expected for a tire of that wear rating and performance rating. (though I'm still debating. Now have eyes set on AD08R too!).

Agreed with racered302...I don't think that can be the BFG SC2. The video was from *before* the SC2 launch in early 2012. My understanding is that the Miller cars were Michelin PS2 before that, as was the Boss I drove. We were the first to drive on the SC2 in April '12 on the FR500S.

Tucson302 said:
I have the SC2's on my stock wheels and tracked them last weekend. They are nowhere near as good as the NT01's I have. I would not recomend them for track use. I had no confidence in them and they broke loose a lot.

ohhhhh damn. ok that's bad news. maybe i shall stay away :D
thanks for the update

I don't track my car so my biggest concern is lack of straight line traction. I have BMR springs, LCA's and relo brackets and I can't even roll into full throttle in second gear w/o the stock tires breaking loose. Part of the BTA was demonstrating the launch control. I forget what rpm it was set to, either 2500 or 3500. What I do remember is dumping the clutch and spinning the BFG tires for about three feet and then hooking up. I'm not sure how much of the dramatic difference in traction is tires and how much is the 4500 foot elevation of the Miller track. The TA cars are noticeably down on power compared to mine. I would love for my car to hook like the the TA cars.

Tucson302 said:

But were the breakaways controllable? Being able to learn and have fun is more important to me than lap times right now, as long as the tires squeal enough to indicate. I would not be surprised about them being inferior to the NT01. I would think the NT05 would best it, too. At least on a dry track.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
WinterSucks said:
But were the breakaways controllable? Being able to learn and have fun is more important to me than lap times right now, as long as the tires squeal enough to indicate. I would not be surprised about them being inferior to the NT01. I would think the NT05 would best it, too. At least on a dry track.

Yes they were controllable, but they made me drive much more timidly which is probably a good thing ;D

boro92 said:
Anyone tried either tire with some feedback?
I've heard a lot of 2nd hand feedback from parties who do not drive the same car and don't necessarily track their car like I do.
Perhaps the more enthusiast crowd here can help out.

Those of you who've been to Miller: How did the Comp 2's fare? How did they perform under repeated lapping and increased tire temps? How would you compare these against the stock P zeros (I don't like them very much!)?

I know for a fact that PSS are fantastic rubber. However, I'm up in Canada and the cost difference between PSS and Comp 2 is a significant $125 per tire. We're talking $1200 vs $1700 for rubber here... I guess the million dollar question is: Is the PSS that much better than Comp 2?

Would love to hear some first hand feedback on experiences with either tire... it'll help me greatly. I know there have been a plethora of tire threads, but none of them really speak to either of these tires with a direct comparison in mind. If in the end, either tire choice is an upgrade over the pzeros, then I'm happy. I can figure out what I want to do... It's just hard to swallow a $500 cost difference when that $500 can be spent on other items like brake pads, or a bucket seat, you know? :D

During Boss Track Attack at Miller, I can tell you the BF Goodrich Comp 2 were exceptional and took a lot of abuse. Predictable at the limit, they would be a good choice...

I just got back from Spring Mountain where I had a two day driving class in the new Z51 Stingray. The cars come equipped with the PSS in a 245/35/19 front and 285/30/20 rear. I was very impressed with how they performed. While not a direct comparison I got the sense that these tires had as much or more grip than the Hankook RS3's. They were very predictable and communicated well at the edge of adhesion. I look forward to trying them out on my car in Vegas next month.

I just put on a set of BFG SC2 and after driving around on the street for a week my impression is that they grip more than my worn heat cycled Pirelli's though not quite as much as the Pirelli's when they were new. I've never had the PSS on my car so I can't really compare the 2. I have NT-01 for the track so the only track action these will see is if I get rain at the track.

When I was shopping for these I looked into getting Rivals in our stock sizes and they had no planned production date. I just got a call from Michelin [apparently they own BFG] this weekend and they told me they just scheduled production of the 285/35 - 19 and they should be available at Tire Rack around July 1st. They don't have a scheduled production date for the 255/40-19.

NFSBOSS said:
I just got back from Spring Mountain where I had a two day driving class in the new Z51 Stingray. The cars come equipped with the PSS in a 245/35/19 front and 285/30/20 rear. I was very impressed with how they performed. While not a direct comparison I got the sense that these tires had as much or more grip than the Hankook RS3's. They were very predictable and communicated well at the edge of adhesion. I look forward to trying them out on my car in Vegas next month.
I used the PSS on track in Vegas and liked them a lot. I'll stick with my initial impressions and like the PSS better than the RS3's.

TMO Supporting Vendors