The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear axle expansion tank overflowed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Anyone overflow their JLT rear axle expansion tank? Running at NJMP Thunderbolt, low 90's ambient, fluid running out of vent at the top of the exp tank at the end of the session. Could the hose get air locked and not drain back? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Dealer refilled once after pinion seal replacement. Level now seems correct, approx 1/4" down from fill hole.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Fluid everywhere after about 20 min session. I cleaned it all off then ran 10-15 min and fluid was just starting to come out. About 10 other track days before and no issues but this may have been the hottest.

Grant 302 said:
Was the fluid changed or stil the factory fill? I suspect most are overfilled from the factory.
Or from the dealer. ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Will2112 said:
Dealer refilled once after pinion seal replacement. Level now seems correct, approx 1/4" down from fill hole.

Yeah, if that's the level after puking a bunch, then I'd try to run closer to the 9/16" side of the fill spec. It was definitely over-filled.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Mechanicsburg, Pa
I'll try that as the worst that could happen is a mess and a shorter session! I thought maybe someone had issues with drain back due to kinked hose or air trapped in a hose loop. Overthinking it I guess.

I had oil puking out the vent on the top of the differential when I 1st tracked my car, I pulled the plug on the axle housing, the one where the housing narrows down for the axle, drivers side, when I did the axle housing had pressure built up in it. This was after the car had sat for a couple of days. I put a 2nd vent in the plug hole and no more issues. Tells me the top vent might be prone to plugging???

The vents at top of diff cover are prone to clogging up from all that fluid slinging off the ring gear.

Try adding one of these to the left side axle tube. Checked after several track sessions and never has a drop of fluid show up at vent.

Ford rear vent kit to the drivers side axle tube where the factory installed a plug. I routed it up and to the left away from the exhaust and its vents into the open area above the axle. I left the vent on top of the diff cover in place also.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014/446994-ford-s-new-solution-leaky-axle-vent.html

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
K98Dave:

Thanks for the Ford Performance Parts link and P/N. Excellent value for the price.

Another part ordered for my 2012.

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors