The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear axle fluid friction modifier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see the Boss 302 supplement owners manual specifies the use of a rear axle fluid friction modifier XL-3.

There is no mention of not using this with the torsen differential.

With the torsen differential not having clutches why would this be required? ???

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Search the threads, I'm pretty sure there was a conclusion from FRPP that it's not needed. You'll also see a lot of guys (like me) switched to Redline.

It doesn't hurt to use the friction modifier and was used to quiet the diff. I've confirmed with Ford and Torsen that it's not needed when using the Torsen diff.

PeteInCT said:
Search the threads, I'm pretty sure there was a conclusion from FRPP that it's not needed. You'll also see a lot of guys (like me) switched to Redline.

Thanks for the reply, FYI, I did do a search for "XL-3", "fluid friction modifier" and any breakdown of that and didn't get any results.

I used a lot of Redline products in my Shifter Kart days and found it to be a quality product but find the Motorcraft products to be good too.

Also, the Motorcraft Products are easier for me to locate locally than the Redline Products.

Thanks everyone for your input, I figured it wasn't necessay but wanted to get opinions from others here.

I haven't used them, other than the factory fill in the boss right now, but I know a lot of the local speed shops recommend Motorcraft fluids even for non-fords

TMO Supporting Vendors