The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear Axle Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utah
Although I don’t have any supporting data, I would say the difference in differential type and the heat generated would be minimal at best. The clutches in a track loc, or the helical gears in a Torsen are only turning when there is a difference in the rotational speed of the tires. The majority of the heat comes from the pinion bearings, then carrier bearings.

The gear ratio would have more influence on heat as a lower ratio. 4:10 would run hotter than a 3:31 because the pinion would be turning faster at the same speed. That being said, I would pick the gear ratio for the tracks you run. I’m a TT guy, so axle heat in my 2014 isn’t a problem, so maybe some of our endurance racers can chime in.

Yes lots of gears churning through the oil in a torsen so they do run a bit hotter. As stated above though final gear ratio makes a bigger difference. I just did 4.09’s and there is no way you can/should do 20min sessions without a diff cooler.

TMO Supporting Vendors