The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 Rear brake line leak after replacing rubber lines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I replaced the rear rubber lines with new raybesto BH381284 from rock auto. I noticed today they have a slow leak. After install I bled the brakes, cleaned everything, and bedded in new pads.

Any advice to remedy? Try tightening harder? Some pipe dope or thread tape?

passenger side seems to be seeping from threads one drop hangin onto the bottom of the metal line that loops over to driver side. Input from front is dry

038E140E-5BEC-4D51-AFF2-45E056402775.jpeg

Driver side same thing - looks to be seeping from thread drip coming down from metal line.

7E13A527-64CD-42EB-B178-C7C7869057A3.jpeg

Go back and do it again, unfortunately. Don't use any type of sealing compound or teflon tape on the threads, because the important part is where the flares meet inside the connection. I've seen some pretty janky flares on aftermarket hoses, I've even had to use some extremely corse rubbing compound or valve grinding compound and "lap" the connections together. I keep an old fitting around and put it in a drill to do that, (pretty sad commentary on the state of manufacturing) but if those flares are not clean and don't mate up, they will leak.
Sorry for the bad news.

In the V6L
The rubber brake lines are fine, it's the flare fitting that's leaking. A flare fitting will leak if it's not tight enough or if it's too tight. Once one's been over tightened, the face of the flare is damaged and the leak is permanent.

What worked for me was putting one of these in each flare fitting: https://www.amazon.com/Parker-Degree-Fitting-Flare-Gasket/dp/B077NHZ98C. Copper SECO 7's will work too.

Sealed up, no leaks.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors