The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear brake temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just ran one of the SCCA Track Night events, figured that would be a good way to get back in the saddle after quite a few years and get a feel for the Boss. Car worked great but I forgot to turn off the TC on one session and cooked the rears. I/R read 475. stock pads all around. No issues with the fronts with the GT 500 shields.

So is temp because I left the TC on? I plane to pull wheels tomorrow and get reid of the dust shields on the rear also. And thinking about ordering those Cale's brackets to so I can go to GT 500 rotors with out having to pull axles (Just had rear fluids serviced)

The P zero were better than I expected since it was really hot today. Played with a 2013 boss,2012 GT500 and several 15/16 GT's No trouble staying with these guys, but that's my home track.

I sent Cale an e mail, does he have a web site?

Thanks

k98dave said:
So is temp because I left the TC on?
This is the reason why. The S197 cars don't have a very sophisticated TC system and it's much better and less intrusive on the S550 cars. Whenever I accidently did that my rear brakes would smoke. :p

k98dave said:
I just ran one of the SCCA Track Night events, figured that would be a good way to get back in the saddle after quite a few years and get a feel for the Boss. Car worked great but I forgot to turn off the TC on one session and cooked the rears. I/R read 475. stock pads all around. No issues with the fronts with the GT 500 shields.

So is temp because I left the TC on? I plane to pull wheels tomorrow and get reid of the dust shields on the rear also. And thinking about ordering those Cale's brackets to so I can go to GT 500 rotors with out having to pull axles (Just had rear fluids serviced)

The P zero were better than I expected since it was really hot today. Played with a 2013 boss,2012 GT500 and several 15/16 GT's No trouble staying with these guys, but that's my home track.

I sent Cale an e mail, does he have a web site?

Thanks

I don't think he has a web site, he was on eBay at one time.

This is the number I used to text him last year when I purchased

Same number is found in the thread I posted in on SVTP last summer.

DMichaels used them and had good luck so I went with them, no issues but it's a weekend car, no track day yet

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
M91196 said:
I don't think he has a web site, he was on eBay at one time.

This is the number I used to text him last year when I purchased

Same number is found in the thread I posted in on SVTP last summer.

DMichaels used them and had good luck so I went with them, no issues but it's a weekend car, no track day yet

I've put about 2000 track miles on my car with these brackets - no issues, rotors are holding up GREAT! They wear a lot better than the OEM 11.8" ones and while I cracked 2 OEM ones, there aren't even any surface cracks on the GT500 ones with the adapter brackets. I'm very happy.

Regarding temps - I was doing rotor testing this past monday and tuesday at Palmer, and about 1 minute after pitting in after a 30 minute session, my rear rotor temps were around 550F, and back-side of the brake pad (rear pads) were about 375F. My front rotors saw 575F as a max temp at the outer edge and around 500F on the inner diameter by the rotor hat. The front caliper outside edge temp was around 315F. This was consistent left and right sides.

"Regarding temps - I was doing rotor testing this past monday and tuesday at Palmer, and about 1 minute after pitting in after a 30 minute session, my rear rotor temps were around 550F, and back-side of the brake pad (rear pads) were about 375F. My front rotors saw 575F as a max temp at the outer edge and around 500F on the inner diameter by the rotor hat. The front caliper outside edge temp was around 315F. This was consistent left and right sides."

Thanks,

Interesting as my rear rotors were hotter than the front, and the Rt rear was hotter than the left rear by about 50 deg. (when I left TC on) I checked everything this morning and nothing is draging so not sure why Rt rear was hotter. Fronts were just at 400. All readings were after a "no brake cool down lap" and right in the hot pits.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I too opted for the GT500 rear brake rotors and caliper brackets. I used all OEM parts, purchased by individual P/N, (not a kit), and it was very reasonable pricing. All in with a set of new OEM brake pads and high temp Dot 4 brake fluid, the cost was very reasonable around $340-360.

After reading some of the above post, I'm happy I went with this upgrade. Especially after reading DMichaels post regarding rotor durability.

So thank you for sharing your performance and durability testing results. Good information.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BigTaco said:
Hi Pro,
What front brakes are you running?

Still running the OEM's, but I have to plan time to do some mods and I'm thinking about installing a new set soon.

302 Hi Pro

I've been tracking the temps regularly for the past 3 years. I don't think your temps are high at all. Obviously every track and conditions will change the temps. At Gateway I'm typically around 425 on the back and about 480 on the front. Well within range for sure.

Running Stoptech Cyro slotted all the way around and HP+ pads. Going to try DTC-60's after the current pads are gone.

What is interesting is how different tracks wear the brakes differently. Road America will eat an entire set of front pads in a weekend. Putnam and Gateway may never run through a set.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel