The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear deck "Boss 302" decal on Race Red installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Thanks to JeffIsHereToo for giving me the idea:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/rear-deck-'boss-302'-graphic-installed/

Boss302trunkdecal4.png

Boss302trunkdecal6.png

Looks great! I am thinking of getting chrome letters (3D Raised ones) and putting "Mustang" across the back like the Original 70 BOSS. Course I am still waiting on my BOSS... but if I do it I will post pics.

There are several companies out there that do the 3D Chrome lettering, an while I could just order the badging from a Mustang Restoration shop, I think these companies might be slightly cheaper in price...

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Don't do it! Decal is ok, leave the chromey letters in the '70s. Just my 2c.

ace72ace said:

Agreed. The car is all "black out" trim and while I agree with you the letters are a tribute to the old 70's cars, it's out of place now. The fact is this decal was to be on the rear deck lid of the 1971 Boss so you can take some measure of nostalgia there! :)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
JeffIsHereToo said:
ace72ace said:

Agreed. The car is all "back out" trim and while I agree with you the letters are a tribute to the old 70's cars, it's out of place now. The fact is this decal was to be on the rear deck lid of the 1971 Boss so you can take some measure of nostalgia there! :)

...now I just need to do something about the huge, round, chrome pony thing attached to the rear panel...

four-walling said:
...now I just need to do something about the huge, round, chrome pony thing attached to the rear panel...

Agreed! I wish they had altered it for the Boss...I saw in another forum an owner had his painted black. Looked really good!

JeffIsHereToo said:
four-walling said:

Agreed! I wish they had altered it for the Boss...I saw in another forum an owner had his painted black. Looked really good!
I painted the silver "wart" the emblem is mounted on black but decided to not paint the chrome FORD ring. I'll post photos of that and a few other mods in the next week or so after my suspension mods are installed.

four-walling said:
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I seem to remember reading somewhere the pony trim piece was very difficult to remove.
Surprising how complicated they made something so simple. I bought a second one and had the ring painted while it was in one piece and it came out fine. The shop matched the black on the emblem and it matches the deck lid decal nicely.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
fiddlefadel said:
How did you prepair the deck surface so you could adjust and center the decal? Soapy water?
thanks
Dave

I realized pretty quickly that the decal install was a one shot deal and could not be adjusted.

Before I removed the decal's protective backing, I positioned the decal on the trunk where I wanted it to be and put a long, horizontal strip of masking tape across the top of it, and affixed it to the decklid to hold it in place.

I then flipped up the decal out of the way, prepared the trunklid with the Dawn soap solution, then removed the decal's protective backing and "squeegee'd" it into place.

It took several minutes for all of the letters of the decal to stick to the decklid.

Have patience, check every 5 minutes or so, to make sure all of the letters of the decal adhere to the decklid.

You will see the decklid has a slight curve to it that the decal does not follow. However, the placement of the decal is "good enough" to look like a factory part.

Good luck'

TMO Supporting Vendors