The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear diff fluid change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just had my diff and tranny fluid replaced at 3,000 miles and two track days. The shop that did the work, NorCal Motorsports, tapped the diff cover so it will be much easier for me to change in the future. The also checked the pinion alignment and thought it was aligned properly with contact deep into the teeth.

P1020818.jpg
P1020819.jpg
P1020814.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm probably just not paying attention, but where's the maintenance schedule info - supplement or otherwise ?

PeteInCT said:
I'm probably just not paying attention, but where's the maintenance schedule info - supplement or otherwise ?
From page 38 of the supplement:

• Ford recommends that you change your axle lubricant and
friction modifier after the initial (first) hour of high-speed
operation or if the vehicle is subjected to track or competition
conditions; thereafter changing the axle lubricant and friction
modifier every 12 hours (under these conditions).
• Ford recommends you change your oil and filter after your
vehicle is subjected to track and/or competition conditions.

FYI the friction modifier is not needed for the Torsen diff.

"FYI the friction modifier is not needed for the Torsen diff."

I don't believe that little detail is mentioned in the Boss supplement. Not that it hurts to use it...just not needed.

My diff fluid was changed at 2700 miles and 2 track days with Royal Purple MaxGear 75W140 full synthetic. About 45 days later my car is now scheduled for a complete warranty rear axle replacement (as soon as part arrives at dealer). However, I'm told the rear axle noise problem I developed is NOT related to my choice of lubricant...it exceeds all factory specs.

ChuckP said:

I don't believe that little detail is mentioned in the Boss supplement. Not that it hurts to use it...just not needed.
Correct it doesn't hurt to use it. It's added in the Torsen diff to make it run quieter for street use. It is needed for the non Torsen diff but the manual doesn't specify which diff needs the modifier. I've confirmed this from both Torsen and Ford Racing.

5 DOT 0 said:
ChuckP said:

Correct it doesn't hurt to use it. It's added in the Torsen diff to make it run quieter for street use. It is needed for the non Torsen diff but the manual doesn't specify which diff needs the modifier. I've confirmed this from both Torsen and Ford Racing.

Correct...

TMO Supporting Vendors