The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

rear drive shaft bolts coming loose...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have my rear drive shaft bolts coming loose quite often... Would it be sane to use a longer bolt so I can but a locking nut on the other side?.... Instead of the short allan headed bolts. Here is a photo of the back side of the drive shaft looking forward, you can see the threads are all the way through to the back.

upload_2018-1-22_21-3-56.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Have not had that issue on S197. You should be using loctite on those bolts, if you are not. Also your RLCA bushings being toast may contribute to unwanted vibration going through that flange.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes their was quite a bit of vibration at the track last outing... I imagine that it would affect the bolts. You would think a longer bolt would help as it has about 2cm more of threaded material to go into.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
You should be using loctite on those bolts, if you are not.

I think Drew already got you the best answer here. Once loosened from a torqued down position, the extra threads do little to prevent backing out further.

Consider ditching the poly bushings in your trailing arms.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Consider ditching the poly bushings in your trailing arms.

I mean *all* of them. Even more so for a UCA. Just my opinion though. They should be inspected regularly for wear and failure, and I don't think people generally do that.

The pumpkin side bushing isn't that bad a place for poly for wear and failure compared to the other 5 trailing arm connection/pivot points, but it's still a source for bind.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For now I went with all spherical at the rear except on the pumpkin side that now has a Poly. The original rubber unit was split. The ride now is not as bad as I thought it would be so maybe next time around I will put a spherical in as well.

Big lesson of the day..... check the WHOLE car before going to the track....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel