The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear end noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last night I went with my wife to pick up a piece of furniture, and transported some of it in my car with the back seats down. I had not noticed it before, but with the seats down, the rear end is quite loud. Anyone else with a torsen front end ever notice this?

I've got about 12k miles on my car. They have not been hard miles, but I have not changed out the rear end fluids from stock.

Whiny Boss???

Some noise is to be expected...

Setting up a R&P is a fine art, indeed..

The Torsen may also exhibit some complaints from time to time.

Probably nothing to worry about unless the noises are very loud and/or the backlash is out of spec

My $0.02

The only whine I ever hear usually comes from the area of the passenger seat and it usually occurs if I'm going faster than the person in that seat thinks I should be going.

If the noise is between 76 and 81 mph then its most likely the ring and pinion.
Ford has replaced mine 3 times.
Starts out great and the after a couple thousand miles comes back. The second one they put in got really loud to where I couldn't stand it.
The 3rd one isn't to bad yet, but, is getting louder.

I don't know if it's too loud or not, it certainly is a noticeable noise with the seats down. I can't say that I notice it nearly as much with them down. I've never had a torsion rearend before, but I would say that if it was a ring and pinion, I would think that it would be louder than I would like.

I've got around 12k miles.

I was wondering if everybody else with the seat/torsen option is loud. I'm guessing that mine is ok, but it isn't like there is another B2 anywhere around for me to sit in and compare my car.

TMO Supporting Vendors