Rear gearing

Discussion in 'Drag Racing Forum' started by Boss2083, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Boss2083

Boss2083 TMO Intermediate

Has anyone went with lower gearing in there Boss. Thinking of putting 4:10s in mine. I put 4:10s in my 99 Cobra and they really made a big difference.

2. stuntman

stuntman TMO Advanced

Depends .What's the top speed of your fastest track?

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  3. Swine

Swine TMO Intermediate

Opposite, im considering going to a 3.55 instead of the 3.73 since im running a lower gearing tire of 285/35/18. Id like to go through the traps not on the limiter if i can help it.

4. ls110

ls110 John

Agreed. I ran the 3.55 and am now running the 3.31 and very happy. I have plenty of power thus losing some low end torque has not been an issue, and it is very nice having the upper end range and increased top speeds.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  5. Boss2083

Thanks, I’m just wanting to run maybe a couple times a month. Going all bolt ons (tune) I am a beginner drag in the drag racing scene I ran my cobra some I know she woke up with the 4:10s so I was just wanting some advice on the boss cars and how they are running and what you guys have done. Thanks

6. ls110

ls110 John

Great point raised that you are dragging versus road course and thus a very different need. Likely having that low end torque is important. I am on the other end of the spectrum and do not care about the launch.

7. Boss2083

I understand I just have always been around drag racing since high school driving my 70 mustang. Just want a little wisdom from some guys who do it in there Boss. I know that 99 percent of the guys on here road race I just never had no one to teach me. (No tracks near me) I have a quarter mile strip 10 miles from me plus racing every weekend. So that’s the route I’m want to take with my Boss.

8. Swine

Swine TMO Intermediate

I would be more concerned with the gearing of your rear tire in conjunction with your gear ratio and expected trap speeds.

In other words i would gear to it where you were just starting to hit the limiter going through the traps in 4th. Unless you want to make that 5th shift and lose time and mph which you will have to do in a super short ratio of a 4.11. Im sure it would feel fun on the street though.