The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear LCA and MM cc plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am planning to install MM camber plate and FR rear LCA.
For otherwise stock suspension, what negative camber is decent? -2?

For the changes I will be doing, what should I expect to gain?
More planted rear end and sharper turning in?

I sound very basic, but I need to see what will I be getting into.

I believe you wont see really any better turn in from camber, I believe camber is just for cornering stability. Toe I believe helps in turn in. Rear end will feel better then stock but probably won't be a night and day difference.

Brandon302 said:
I believe you wont see really any better turn in from camber, I believe camber is just for cornering stability. Toe I believe helps in turn in. Rear end will feel better then stock but probably won't be a night and day difference.

I actually meant corner stability

drano38

Wayne
I ran MMC on my stock suspension for a year, set at -2.4 deg. Overall worked well on my Enkei PF01/Nitto NT05 setup.
Of course, proper camber makes the outside front tire be flat and even to the pavement when in a hard turn (rather than being on the outside portion of the tread with no camber), so you get max grip from that tire and more even tread wear.
I believe negative camber makes the car more responsive to turn in. Toe adjustment will too, but raises havoc with tire wear while street driving.
When you come off track after a session, use an IR thermometer to get outside/center/inside tire temps. If they're within about 5 deg, your tire pressure and camber are good. If not, the hot section is doing the most work/wearing the fastest.
The stock LCAs are ok, but not great. So a quality aftermarket set such as your choice will help transfer the wheel force more effectively. But may not be a night and day difference.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
13Boss#3328 said:
For the changes I will be doing, what should I expect to gain?

Assuming a correct tire pressure and no other suspension mods, you should get less front tire wear on the outside shoulder, less wheel hop plus a tad more road noise/NVH.

If you run 0 toe, you also shouldn't see much inside wear from the street.

So, if I understand this correctly camber plates may help with tire ware on and of the track? I've been considering them for better handling on the street. Going to the track is more of a challenge then hitting the country roads.

drano38

Wayne
Camber plates are really only needed for track cars. The stock system will take care of street use (unless you spend all your time in max performance turns on freeway cloverleafs).
For track use, we need negative camber to keep the tire surface flat under strut compression in hard turns. When the strut is compressed, our front suspension design causes the wheel to tilt outward (towards positive camber). This causes the tire's outside edge to wear much more than the inner portion. So setting negative camber with the car on the alignment rack gives us a tire near zero camber in a hard corner with the strut compressed--even tire wear, and max tread on the surface for better grip.
But that negative camber causes the inside of the tires to wear more during street driving. This summer I flipped my stock tires on the rims because the inside part of the tread was warn way more than the rest of the tire, and that was about 10,000 miles.

I feel the rear is jittery and bouncy, I understand this could be due the live axle, but do you think the rear LCA alone will decrease the bouncy/jouncy feel?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
13Boss#3328 said:
I feel the rear is jittery and bouncy, I understand this could be due the live axle, but do you think the rear LCA alone will decrease the bouncy/jouncy feel?

You need to get the rear down and increase damper setting or better yet get better than stock dampers for track use. If you lower then add LCA relocation brackets to correct arm angle.
Steve

steveespo said:
You need to get the rear down and increase damper setting or better yet get better than stock dampers for track use. If you lower then add LCA relocation brackets to correct arm angle.
Steve

Thanks

My thought is, I do suspension mod, I will start and end with coilovers ( KW V3 or Motion control suspension...etc)

However, before everything, I will upgrade the wheels/tires. I know the rivals will glue this michigander to the tarmac! ;D

GR8WYT

I have V3's and I feel the car needs UCA, LCA's and relo brackets. I spoke with a gentleman named Sam Strano and he answered my original questions about suspension mods. I can honestly say, he never tried to up sell anything. If I remember correctly this was the phone call....... He said have you DRIVEN THE CAR? YES. WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU NEED? I said blah blah blah. This yes, this no, install your parts. DRIVE THE CAR, call me. I did and now I am writing this reply. Lol

He gave me set up info, camber info, basic setups but if you LISTEN, the guy is bright. If you want to purchase parts and you know your answers already then the world is your oyster. If you want valuable info? Speak with someone who has track time!

Watts Link? Not yet for me but I could argue with myself over it.......

GR8WYT said:
I have V3's and I feel the car needs UCA, LCA's and relo brackets. I spoke with a gentleman named Sam Strano and he answered my original questions about suspension mods. I can honestly say, he never tried to up sell anything. If I remember correctly this was the phone call....... He said have you DRIVEN THE CAR? YES. WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU NEED? I said blah blah blah. This yes, this no, install your parts. DRIVE THE CAR, call me. I did and now I am writing this reply. Lol

He gave me set up info, camber info, basic setups but if you LISTEN, the guy is bright. If you want to purchase parts and you know your answers already then the world is your oyster. If you want valuable info? Speak with someone who has track time!

Watts Link? Not yet for me but I could argue with myself over it.......
I spoke with Sam yesterdat, he seems a very knowledgable man.

TMO Supporting Vendors