The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear License Plate Problem HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys,

I just bought my '13 Boss 302 and the rear (left side) license plate hole is stripped. Any ideas what I can do? I'm slightly OCD, so my license plate not hanging securely and evenly is killing me. Please help! Thanks

I can't really remember how the rear license plate holes were, but I'm sure it could be re-tapped to a slightly larger thread.

Is the nut/thread plastic or metal?
If it's plastic, I would just get a larger thread screw and screw it in. If it's metal, you might have to drill the old threads and re-tap.

another option is, if you do not have the tools, you could drive to the dealership and see if they can fix it.

Yes it's plastic and I had the same problem with mine. As a temporary fix until I can get the panel off and come up with a more permanent repair, I installed a drywall anchor. Used the screw that came with the anchor and its all hidden behind the license plate frame.

BLAZN BOSS

I have done this for other people, buy some marine- tex or some other two part epoxy fill the hole let it dry well and redrill and use the old screw again. a little touch up paint to make you feel better but you cant see it anyway.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Stores like Auto-Zone sell a licence plate install kit with all sizes of machine screws, self-tapping screws and mounting parts. CJ Pony has them also:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=HW197&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CJmR4Iv0prYCFYWo4Aod9H0Awg

Those white plugs in the pic on that webpage noted above can be used to create a properly threaded mounting hole, only caveat being you need to open up the holes (maybe with a square file after enlarging them with a drill a little) so the holes all have square shoulders and provide a snug fit for those white connectors.

-Pete

BLAZN BOSS said:
I have done this for other people, buy some marine- tex or some other two part epoxy fill the hole let it dry well and redrill and use the old screw again. a little touch up paint to make you feel better but you cant see it anyway.

bingo - this is what I used
epoxy_zpsb78c2db7.jpg

I was thinking that double sided sticky tape from 3m over the hole, then screw into it. Some of it will hold 15# psi or more. Does a good job of holding my louver on.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I drilled it out and got a "jacking nut", which is basically a rivet nut that compresses with just tightening the screws. Now I take my plate off at will and never worry about it stripping again.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm thinking I should go the electricalt tape route for now, because I'm still waiting for my license plates.

If the holding nut (in the bumper) isn't too damaged, I would use my standby. Wrap some blue painter's tape around the plate screw threads to sufficiently fill the gap and tighten it down. This method has worked on several bud's cars.

or for a more permanentfix. You could heli coil it, they work in plastic too. I do a lot of custom hotrod conversions at work and guys come in with all kinds of odd looking plastic shifter handles and such. I have heli coiled many things to fix destroyed threads and they last forever. They come in some very small sizes so you should be able to find one to fit what you need.

TMO Supporting Vendors