The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear pad recommendation for DD and HPDE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking to trim my 'pre-track day' prep list by eliminating swapping the rear pads.

I've run HAWK HPS and Carbotech XP-8 for HPDE and to be honest, I notice very little difference. Fronts are a whole difference story...

Looking for a rear pad that is low dust, fairly quiet for the street, with good wear characteristics and will perform well for HPDE. I run oversized (13.8") StopTech cryo rotors in the rear if that has any bearing on the recommendation.

Anything out there that would satisfy my requirements?

I would've recommended the XP8s for the exact characteristics you'RE looking for, except maybe the no dust one.

I currently run XP12s in the back and I don't swap them out, even during winter. I do get a few squeaks, but compared to the differentail wine in my car, it's negligible.

F.D. Sako said:
I would've recommended the XP8s for the exact characteristics you'RE looking for, except maybe the no dust one.

I currently run XP12s in the back and I don't swap them out, even during winter. I do get a few squeaks, but compared to the differentail wine in my car, it's negligible.

How much street driving do you do with XP-12? My XP-8 started to get pretty noisy on the 35 miles ride back to the house, so not sure I would go with a more aggressive pad on a full time basis.

blacksheep-1 said:
Remarkably, in our T2 car, we've run stock rear pads....just sayin'
Seems to be more of a comfort level thing.

Stock?? If they weren't so damn dusty :)

I actually didn't mind the HPS in the rear, but I feel like there might be a little better choice for my application.

barspen said:
How much street driving do you do with XP-12? My XP-8 started to get pretty noisy on the 35 miles ride back to the house, so not sure I would go with a more aggressive pad on a full time basis.

I drive the car 2-3 days per week. Mine only squeak when making turns, which I believe is due to the small play in the axles, causing the rotor to contact one of the pads.

I run XP20 in the front and XP10 in the rear. As long as I lube them up with copper antiseize as was recommended by carbotech they don't not make much noise. I also found the cleaner you keep them (washing regularly and using wheel cleaner on them) the less noise they make. I currently have three track days and maybe 1200 miles since putting them on and little noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I'd second the idea of using the stock Boss pads which are not the same as the standard GT pad. There is something to be said about the less aggressive pad in the rear with the small rotors. This will make the car very stable under braking and allow you to stay on the brakes while turning-in. I wouldn't call it trail braking because you won't have much bite in the rear to help point the car but it will offer you stable braking.

Flyboygsxr said:
I'd second the idea of using the stock Boss pads which are not the same as the standard GT pad.

Looked up the part online, but didn't have any luck (only shows the fronts as being a 'special'). I've heard the BOSS runs Porterfield pads, but never confirmed.

Anyone have a part I can match for the OEM BOSS replacement?

I run XP20 in the front and XP10 in the rear. As long as I lube them up with copper antiseize as was recommended by carbotech they don't not make much noise. I also found the cleaner you keep them (washing regularly and using wheel cleaner on them) the less noise they make. I currently have three track days and maybe 1200 miles since putting them on and little noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where?

TMO Supporting Vendors