The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear piston - can't get it reset for new pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
I got ahold of Goodridge customer service. The nice lady confirmed these kit come with bolts (but I didn't get any).
So she sent me a set of bolts and more crush washers.
I'm now 99.9% sure it's bolt length (and the factory bolts preventing the piston from going in further).

Amazing how something as simple as missing bolts in a kit turned into 2 evenings of frustration (and 21+ posts on this thread).
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Proof once again that this is a great forum.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Glad you found the problem and now we know. Also glad to see that Goodrich took good care of you.

Keep us posted when you get it together.

Dave
2 HP

drano38

Wayne
Well, this was easy.
Got the new bolts/washers today from Goodridge--great customer service for them getting this shipped quick.
Installed them, and the pistons reset just fine.
Got both rear lines installed tonite, and will get the fronts Saturday. Then put in ATE yellow fluid.
When I removed the factory bolt, I could see the back of the piston. So the factory bolts were clearly the problem.
Here's a pic of 3 new bolts and 1 stock bolt.
Glad this project is wrapping up.

2015-05-29_19-54-11_231_zpsfn1qqy3r.jpg

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Hope there is no damage to the back side of piston, although I'm not sure it matters much. Just keep an eye out for leaks I guess as the pads wear.

Great info on this forum as always!! Hope you like the pads!!

drano38

Wayne
I'd assume the back of the piston is fine too. And that's behind the seal. Like you said, I'll keep an eye on them for leaks.
XP-8 are the only rear pad I've used, so I think I'll like them. ;) Work well for street and track.
Yes, lots of great help on this forum. :)
Thanks again to all for your inputs.

drano38

Wayne
Tri-bar said:
What is the part number on those banjo bolts ? Or what size are they, I may need a set.

Numbers on the bolt bag are slightly smudged, but 2 sets of numbers look like
993-03-35P
If you need Goodridge bolts, call their customer service at 1-800-662-2466, in California so Pacific time. Ask for bolts and copper washers for your year of Mustang w/ Brembo brakes, or for our brake line kit number 12364.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
This thread saved me the other night. Had the same issue. Added another washer to the banjo bolt and I'm good!! Thx again BMO

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Consider replacing or shortening the bolt. Two soft items, the copper washers, may eventually develop a leak.

A shorter bolt or a trip to the grinder should work.

I can't begin to recount the times tech threads on BMO have saved me time and money.

Thanks Guys

TMO Supporting Vendors