The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear plate bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, this is probably a really stupid question, but did anyone get a rear plate bracket? Other than a dealer type surround that they always put on but is not really a bracket.

I was just putting my plates on today and noticed dimples in the center of where the plate goes that are similar to the ones on the front. Also just screwing on the plate lets the edge rub against the black plastic part and eventually it looks like it will scrape it. I'm probably going to put a little pad of some sort under the bottom edge to protect the plastic, but if there is some sort of bracket that I did not receive I would like to know. Also one of the holes for the plate is stripped out from the dealer installing it which I am not too happy about.

Yeah that isn't too big a deal, I can wrap the screw in a layer of electric tape then put it back in. I was just wondering about the dimples, why are they there then?

Rich_S said:
No bracket just holes.

I have a Ford Racing brushed stainless license plate frame on mine.
Like this one:

IMG_0336.jpg

drano38

Wayne
Dimples are there to show them where to drill the holes.
If its stripped out, go to a hardware/home store and get stainless sheet metal screws. I think license plate screws are #14 or so. Take one along, and get the next size up. Stainless won't rust, and they look nice. I run stainless on all of my plates. Phillips head look better than hex head.
Some brackets have a lip around the edge which could rub on the paint, so be careful of that.
You could use picture frame pads (small rubber pads with tape on one side) to hold the plate off the plastic.

I'm not concerned about the stripped screw, as I have fixed much worse before ;D I was just really curious about the dimples.

The dimples are in the very center of where the plate would go, I figured if they were guides they would be where the holes go not several inches below and to the side.

And dang it 5dot0, now I need one of those.

IIRC from a couple hours ago, the red dots are where the dimples are. Maybe they have a fixture they put on the dimples to drill all 4?

Permanent_Trailer.jpg

CaliMR said:
Ok, this is probably a really stupid question, but did anyone get a rear plate bracket?

No rear bracket on the Boss from Ford (at least for 2012).

It came with a front bracket and a bag of 8 self tapping screws.

The outside of the screw bag had printed instructions which illustrated:

Four screws for the rear plate directly into the rear bumper

Two screws for the front bracket directly into the front bumper

Two screws for the front plate (on top) into the bracket

George

Thanks, I didn't have that packet. The front bracket was just loose in the trunk.

Still wonder why there are dimples there.

CaliMR said:
Thanks, I didn't have that packet. The front bracket was just loose in the trunk.

Still wonder why there are dimples there.

I noticed those two dimples, as well, when installing my rear plate.

I suspect you are correct in thinking they were positioned to facilitate the mounting of some type of rear bracket.

I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of rear bracket was or is available from Ford or elsewhere to utilize them.

However, that is simply a guess on my part.

George

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel