The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear seat delete, for tire storage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those who have the rear seat delete, is there more room in the rear for transporting race tires to the track?

Right now I can only fit 3 race tires in my Boss so I was thinking of doing the rear seat delete to lose weight AND gain rear storage. I can fit two in the trunk.

Will two (295 35 18) tires fit in the the rear seat delete area?

--Jerry

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't have a rear seat delete. I fit 4 tires by putting the rear seats down and putting two laid down side by side resting on top the rear arm rests. The third sits on top those two. I've put a 4th behind the passenger seat, or on the passenger seat, strapped down or in the trunk with the rest of my track stuff.

If you're fitting two in the trunk then you shouldn't have an issue getting two in the back with the back seats folded down. I use tire covers from Tire Rack to help keep the interior clean.

Grant 302 said:
I don't have a rear seat delete. I fit 4 tires by putting the rear seats down and putting two laid down side by side resting on top the rear arm rests. The third sits on top those two. I've put a 4th behind the passenger seat, or on the passenger seat, strapped down or in the trunk with the rest of my track stuff.

If you're fitting two in the trunk then you shouldn't have an issue getting two in the back with the back seats folded down. I use tire covers from Tire Rack to help keep the interior clean.

What size tires?
my 295s don't fill thru the pass thru from trunk to rear seat :-(

Grant 302

These are the sets of 4 that I've fit in the car the way I describe above:

Slicks:
305/680-18
305/645-18

Super sports:
295/30-19
265/35-19

Hankooks R-S3:
275/35-18 set of 4
285/35-18
265/35-18

No need to delete the rear seat.

I go to the track with 4 of 295/35-18 tires. I put 3 on the rear seat and 1 on the passenger seat, lately I have been removing the passenger front seat, so it gets even easier.

I fit the following without any issue:

Floor jack
2 jack stands
Torque wrench
Impact wrench
Wheel spacers
The Black bag (99 piece sockets and wrenches)
Helmet
Glovesy
Windex with white and blue paper towels
Gas cans ( 2 of 5 galon cans)
Folding Chair
Brake fluids
Engine oil
Extra lug nuts
Extra set of front brake rotors
Extra set of all corners brake pads
Tire pressure gauge
Small Cool box
My bag (clothes)
3 person tent, which I never ended up using

Who said the Mustang is not practical?!

Takes a bit of finagling, but you can get a lot of shiznit in a Boss, including a full set of mounted track wheels/tires...

IMG_4481_zpsba3c47b4.png ]

IMG_4483_zps6ee1d7d3.png ]

...and there's even more stuff stashed in the spare tire well.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its funny to see the Camaro owners looking at you with disbelief as you pull out four 305/35-18 wheels, and a picnic basket, tools, chairs, wife etc from the car. I tell them thats the advantage of a Live axle!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You guys need to fold the rear seats down, then lay down two wheels/tires on their sides next to each other; you'll need to use the arm rests.
Then stack a third wheel/tire on its side on top of those two wheels.
Put the fourth wheel/tire in the spare tire well. Now you have the whole trunk available for other stuff, plus the back seat floor, and the extra space on top of the tire stack in the back seat.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Mad Hatter said:
Its funny to see the Camaro owners looking at you with disbelief as you pull out four 305/35-18 wheels, and a picnic basket, tools, chairs, wife etc from the car. I tell them thats the advantage of a Live axle!!

I almost died laughing reading this. I'm with ArizonaBoss on this or I can just use my excursion if I pull the trailer.

Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS said:
You guys need to fold the rear seats down, then lay down two wheels/tires on their sides next to each other; you'll need to use the arm rests.
Then stack a third wheel/tire on its side on top of those two wheels.
Put the fourth wheel/tire in the spare tire well. Now you have the whole trunk available for other stuff, plus the back seat floor, and the extra space on top of the tire stack in the back seat.

And now everybody knows I was schooled in Drew's Mustang Tetris advanced course! ;)
Mad302 said:
I almost died laughing reading this. I'm with ArizonaBoss on this or I can just use my excursion if I pull the trailer.
Then you *gotta* hit that like button on his post!! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel