The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear tower brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What I'd like to see, along with many Boss and S197 Mustang owners, is a replica of the LS X brace. You obviously have a high quality fabricator at your disposal, any plans to replicate the X brace? Other ideas are a 1" splitter spacer to move the splitter closer to the ground, jack blocks and a front tow strap like you created for the FGT.

Me too! In the works - with the exception of the splitter spacer. I'm not sold on the market viability... would like your $.02. I think moving the splitter lower would be a good mod on most (but perhaps not all) tracks. The only exception is those tracks that are too bumpy and which may cause contact. But, with the splitter 1" lower, it is definitely something that owners would want at the track only and not on the street. As such, my concern is a "kit" that is easy to take on off. Currently, I think the attachment of the splitter is too time-consuming to be easily removed/re-installed (for most people). In other words, I'm trying to differentiate between a product that you or I may use and one which there is truly a market for.

Like anything else it all depends on price but I think there is a market for the rear seat X-brace, no doubt.

The splitter is a major pain in the butt to take on and off, not hard but very cumbersome. Doing it at the track is out of the question, my arms would be too tired to go out and drive after. As you have seen tearing it off causes quite a pain in the wallet, lowering the splitter would only be for the hardcore of the hardcore trackers.

Yes to the x brace and tow strap. No to the spacers. Most people who are that serious about tracking to want the splitter lower (which it really does need to be about 1 inch lower) will get it done indirectly by lowering springs that they will get to lower cog and reduce body roll.

CoolTechLLC said:
Me too! In the works - with the exception of the splitter spacer. I'm not sold on the market viability... would like your $.02. I think moving the splitter lower would be a good mod on most (but perhaps not all) tracks. The only exception is those tracks that are too bumpy and which may cause contact. But, with the splitter 1" lower, it is definitely something that owners would want at the track only and not on the street. As such, my concern is a "kit" that is easy to take on off. Currently, I think the attachment of the splitter is too time-consuming to be easily removed/re-installed (for most people). In other words, I'm trying to differentiate between a product that you or I may use and one which there is truly a market for.
Understood and here's my $0.02 on it. I think we can all agree the front splitter, whether the Boss or LS splitter, sits too high to be very effective. Springs (unless you slam the car) and 18" wheel package will lower the front of the car approximately 1". In general it's more effective to go down than out on a splitter and I'll use the current Ford Fusion NASCAR as an example. Here we go:

* None of the Boss 302's come installed with a large splitter so the install time is the same if starting from scratch. Although I haven't installed one I've looked at it and I'm sure it's a PITA.
* For the majority of Boss owners a spacer would be a less expensive alternative. I assuming a $300 or less price point.
* Lowering a Boss splitter 1" is approximately equal in adding downforce compared to the LS splitter. I was told Ford has wind tunnel tested this.
* If you're running the LS or WC splitter and needed more front downforce this would be an easy solution.
* I'm not sure but the attack angle for loading a Boss on a trailer might be better lowering 1" vs. adding the LS splitter.
* Scraping the bottom of the splitter a bit is not a big deal. Smacking curbing and the ground is another issue.
* Your company focuses on unique niche products. There are several companies already making splitters for our car so this would differentiate you from a crowded field and provide a product that could be used with your competitors products.
* It would add a unique look to a Boss or any Mustang running the Boss front valance like the California Special.

My personal preference would be to lower the Boss splitter 1" rather than add the LS or WC splitter. It would be easy to make a demo and try. You use the 1" hard building Styrofoam you can purchase at Home Depot and wrap the edges with black duct tape.

6947959383_e6c7c24463_b.jpg

There are tons of companies building and testing after market parts. It's a huge market if your on the ball. Many companies test and market and some just market and say there product works. Obviously any bracing that is carefully thought out and engineered properly should make some type of improvement. What I am getting at is I would think you would have to do several things to really notice a difference. Can you not tell the driver the brace is on there and when it's not and have him know the difference?

What do you mean by a spacer? Does it go above the splitter or below it kind of like 80s NASCAR? I was thinking about fabbing some sort of skirt if I get the RTR wing to keep with the old school racing look, if there was something similar available that was somewhat quick to take off for street use I would be interested. I was going to put it pretty straight across, not follow the lips, though I don't know if that would actually help aerodynamically. It could also be a bit deeper if it were further back like that. I was going to run it by a nerd later when I had the design sort of worked out ;)

I'm just having trouble picturing it another way, but if depending on the results I might be interested.

Maybe a skirt that attaches to the pinch welds somehow. I don't know how effective side skirts are, but I know I have seen a few. It would just have to not look ghetto. Maybe an undertray for the tank and all the stuff above the axle, most cars have a parachute affect from there. It could be mated to the fake diffuser in the rear bumper. They are pretty common in the import scene. Not very bling though as it is under, but people who track may want something like that.

SteedaBrandon

Here's what one of our customers said about our rear strut tower brace:
"Last friday, I had the Steeda REAR STB TIG welded into place, by the local co that builds sprint car, drag car tubular chassis. I could feel the diff in the back end within 400' of leaving their shop..on a gravel side road. Now with the steeda front STB on as well, man its really solid. The rear brace has the same rod end-spherical joints as the front stb. And one end of rear stb is also RVS threaded. Same adjustments for tweaking the overall length. The rear steeda STB is shiny and polished. The front steeda stb is black. The steeda polished AL pieces that fit over the 4 x studs are superb. I installed the center caps + steeda badging on em..looks great. Functional..and bling."
-http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59024&p=716383#post716383

TMO Supporting Vendors