The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Agreed... its just when my mechanic saw the yellow, he said...."dam gringos put extra weight in the rear...told you so!"

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If it was a T3 car those cooling modules would be the fuel tanks, in..T1 (I think) and the GT cars that spot gets cooling modules and the fuel cell is in the back..there's a million different fuel cells, some use 3 sumps.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Still in heated argument with my mechanic over adding rear weight....

Maybe redirect the conversation to: what can be re-located rearward?

It does sound a little silly to simply add weight for the sake of improving weight distribution. Work on the distribution first. And try your best to reduce weight up front.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know my crazy gringo fabricator did plenty to take out weight and what we did in the back was for balance --example moving the battery to the right rear to help in corner balancing the Boss. Adding weight is usually done if the car is underweight for it's class, and frankly if added most move to an area that gives the car the best balance as possible? Sure, there are cases where a lot of weight can be taken out of a car and weight is added to achieve minimum weight and to achieve a maximum balance position. Just adding weight to the rear as your mechanic mentioned just doesn't happen with anyone I know except for some cases listed above.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, totally agree that adding weight would be a step back unless rules require it... Its just that I wanted to come back with a witty remark that the yellow item in the photo was not a extra weight.... Well he will probably not believe me any ways!!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
And just too update. A/c is out and even the windshield washer will be moved back. Going to try to leave the car at 3500lbs, with me the car... did ADD weight with a stronger modified roll bar. Looking forward to getting the corner balance weights.....

Last edited:
In the areas where the OEM saddle bag tanks were, could you please expand upon and explain what you mean by cooling cores or cooling modules and what and how they are mounted there?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
In the areas where the OEM saddle bag tanks were, could you please expand upon and explain what you mean by cooling cores or cooling modules and what and how they are mounted there?

I think I see lines going to the diff/pumpkin coming from the oil cooler in the bottom of the pic. Maybe both are plumbed in series and might have remote pumps mounted in the trunk. The other might be for trans cooling. I'm guessing they are mounted by bolting to brackets mounted to the floor pan. I think I can see some of it on the upper one in the pic. Might be fans mounted on the top, out of view in the pic.

upload_2019-4-26_21-52-20 cores.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Way to go Mad, that is essentially my goal also - 3495 lbs. with me in the car. Removed and moved a bunch of stuff and now she is at 3515. The goal for the driver was to get from 192 to 175 , and am at 184 now. Nine more pounds and the car should be a close to perfect weight and I won't have to suck in my gut every time I try to stuff myself into my racing suit!?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
18 (?) gallon fuel cell with diff/trans coolers mounted where the factory tank was, as Blacksheep and others have noted. I am mimicking this in a certain sense now but with a 26-gallon cell and so far only have the trans cooler installed. Diff cooler to come eventually.

TMO Supporting Vendors