The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear wheel speed sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Well it happened to me again. While on track the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and turned off abs, TCS, airbags, advanced trac. This being the result of one or both of my rear wheel speed sensors getting coated with brake dust. After I clean them, the issue goes away. Though I ruined another set of front PS4Ss from a lock up :(.

Anyone have a trick they have done to prevent excessive dust build up on the sensors? I bought a couple new sensors since they weren't terribly expensive, but im sure that won't help me in the long run.

2016 GT PP1, GLoc R10s F, R8s rear.

Pretty common, if you like those brake pads then you might be stuck, so you have only 2 choices, over maintain the brake sensors or change pads to something that might not be as dusty.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Pretty common, if you like those brake pads then you might be stuck, so you have only 2 choices, over maintain the brake sensors or change pads to something that might not be as dusty.
Is performing that maintenance what you all do to mitigate the problem? Or is that sensor not in play for most of the road cars on here? Would assume if I step up to a higher temp pad that Im going to get more dust right? Thankfully servicing those sensors is pretty easy, just a frustrating weakness.

Is performing that maintenance what you all do to mitigate the problem? Or is that sensor not in play for most of the road cars on here? Would assume if I step up to a higher temp pad that Im going to get more dust right? Thankfully servicing those sensors is pretty easy, just a frustrating weakness.
I think most of these guys are using them on the S197s, and I'm sure the S550s are similar, you remove a small (6mm I think) bolt that holds the sensor on and just clean it with brake clean and wipe it off, no real big deal, make sure the reluctor wheel on the rotor (or hub) is also clean and free from rust..

TMO Supporting Vendors