The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

rear wheel stud failure....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
A lesson on keeping everything on your car at 100% (and not being lazy :( ).... A while ago I had a whole pile of ARP studs seize on me and looks like it was a overzealous helper with a lot of muscle who overtightened the lugs... some 5 of them broke in off in one day (since then used a torque wrench). So while I was waiting for new ARP studs I had some made up here at a shop to make a race date... Was a bad idea. They lasted about a year...

Since my car is waiting for 5th gear syncros to arrive, I went to watch a local race in the Boss and on the way home, in a three lane tunnel, I saw my rear wheel come off and pass me, was very busy with Sunday traffic and had a hell of a time waiving speeding cars down so they wouldn't rear end me... After getting a tow truck to take me out of the tunnel, I had a chance to inspect the rear wheel, had two of the local studs broken off and the three remaining ARP studs still there. Lucky for the car the big BMR relo bracket kept the rear disc of the ground and the car had minimum damage. The wheel made its way at high speed through the traffic with out hitting anyone for 500m(lucky!!) and I managed to recover it with no dramas. I was a twit for not changing the studs earlier as they were sitting in my tool box....

Last edited:
Wow that's crazy and I'm glad nobody was hurt. Glad to hear the ARP studs that many of us use held up.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks guys! But the Truth is I have been a little careless lately. Checking your wheel studs etc is too important to leave till its too late!! Reality check for me... the Boss is a truely reliable track car but maybe I left it a little late.

Was surprised to see that the three remaining ARP studs were only slightly damaged, but nut-less, which lead me to buy a new set for Ford racing open lugs instead of the bulk gorilla ones I have been using.

I swap to R7's at the track, so thats added wear as you have to swap again to get home.

Am going to pamper the car this weekend with a AED tune, TB, Airaid CAI, AND new ARP studs and nuts. Can't have it grumpy with me!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Any fender damage? Usually it rips the bejesus out of the fender on it's way out....sometimes poll vaulting the car up in the air!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
incredibly... no!! The tire went smoothly off my car/ then it went bouncing down in between the cars at 100km/hr with no damage to anyone. Luck I guess!!:eek: The BMR bracket has about a cm ground off the bottom. But I was going to leave it on the highest setting anyways!! ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
incredibly... no!! The tire went smoothly off my car/ then it went bouncing down in between the cars at 100km/hr with no damage to anyone. Luck I guess!!:eek: The BMR bracket has about a cm ground off the bottom. But I was going to leave it on the highest setting anyways!! ;)
Sounds like a good day to buy a lottery ticket!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel