The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear wheels fit on the front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon302 said:
The tire size wasn't my concern, more the offset and back spacing on the rear wheels, but thank you.
285's won't work properly on 9 inch wheels so chances are the Track Attack cars are using the same wheels F/R.

65sohc said:
285's won't work properly on 9 inch wheels so chances are the Track Attack cars are using the same wheels F/R.
They probably do have 9.5 or 10 inches all the way around, though the 285's do fit on 9's just fine.

Brandon302 said:
They probably do have 9.5 or 10 inches all the way around, though the 285's do fit on 9's just fine.

Just curious, are 285s on the 9 inch rims a recommended fitment, or do they just "work"? I mean, I've seen some pretty wild tire to rim marriages in the past that "worked", but I wouldn't drive on them. There was a fad among a certain demographic a few years ago to run really narrow tires on really wide rims...go figure.

coboss said:
Just curious, are 285s on the 9 inch rims a recommended fitment, or do they just "work"? I mean, I've seen some pretty wild tire to rim marriages in the past that "worked", but I wouldn't drive on them. There was a fad among a certain demographic a few years ago to run really narrow tires on really wide rims...go figure.

Specifically the DWS that I went with said the smallest recommended rim size for the 285 was a 9 inch and the largest I believe was a 10 or something. But I did follow the manufacturer's recommendations when choosing that tire to go on the front. They don't look squished either on the rim, they look like they sit just as flush as the tires on the rear.

You're right. Continental does allow a 9 in. width while all the other manufacturers specify a minimum 9.5.

TMO Supporting Vendors