The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear wheels fit on the front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure if it has been asked already, but do the rear wheels fit on the front. Reason being that I may need new front tires and would like to run square 285s, only way I could do this currently is to be able to fit the rear wheels on the car when I want to rotate them.

Justin said:
best way to find out. take a front off and a rear put the rear up front...let us know the results

I will probably have to do just that. I would assume it should work, might look a little odd though.

Brandon302 said:
Not sure if it has been asked already, but do the rear wheels fit on the front. Reason being that I may need new front tires and would like to run square 285s, only way I could do this currently is to be able to fit the rear wheels on the car when I want to rotate them.

Just making sure you know the wheels aren't the same width. Front wheels are 9" and the rear wheels are 9 1/2".

Yep figured the offset was different and knew the width was, however I might plan to run square 285 which will fit on both rims and I wanted to know if I can rotate the wheels without issue.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Grant 302 said:
I've heard from a local Boss owner that it will fit. I've also heard of a Boss that was at a dealership with the wheels on the wrong axle.
oh yeah I remember that post. his fronts were on the back and backs on the front. yeah they will fit lol

The Track Attack cars are set up to LS suspension specs and run 285's all around so presumably they are running the same wheels F/R.

65sohc said:
The Track Attack cars are set up to LS suspension specs and run 285's all around so presumably they are running the same wheels F/R.

The tire size wasn't my concern, more the offset and back spacing on the rear wheels, but thank you.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mcmmotorsports said:
Hmm...looking at an "All-Weather" tire solution, wanted to go square, maybe keeping all 4 wheels is an option.
i went with Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's for all seasons and they are great. Highly recommend them for an all season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Justin, I just put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my LS, 265 Front, 295 Rear. If I don't track the car with these tires I hope to get 25k out of them. think that is to unrealistic?

Here was my set of questions and how I answered them for an all-weather solution http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/16359-winter-tires-wheels-tsw-track-and-other-solution/

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
OK, now I have the same question. Anyone figure out if the rear wheels will fit on the fronts with no interference?

jneary said:
OK, now I have the same question. Anyone figure out if the rear wheels will fit on the fronts with no interference?

I can let you know once I rotate them, the only thing I could see them interfering with is brake ducts if you haven't routed them close enough to the inside of the wheel well.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I don't have brake ducts installed. I am getting down to the time where I need to replace the rear tires (go figure) after 20,000 miles and don't want to have to deal with different brands front/rear. If I can get a set of used rears and put them on the front, I can rotate and have the same tires front/rear.

Please let me know as I am starting the search for a set of rears now.

Thanks!!!

John

jneary said:
I don't have brake ducts installed. I am getting down to the time where I need to replace the rear tires (go figure) after 20,000 miles and don't want to have to deal with different brands front/rear. If I can get a set of used rears and put them on the front, I can rotate and have the same tires front/rear.

Please let me know as I am starting the search for a set of rears now.

Thanks!!!

John

Will do, I believe though that you should have no issues; as others have said there was a member who had the rears and fronts swapped and wondered why he had 255's on the rear. I don't believe there were issues with it, other then rear traction probably.

TMO Supporting Vendors