The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rearend Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is an old topic. My rearend whines too loud at around 80 mph. It occured to me that the noise might be transmitted via the UCA being bolted to the pumpkin. All the other mustangs I've owned used a 4 link rear suspension. Maybe the noise is just a trait of our cars that we can't do anything about. It's really the only complaint I have with my car.

Mine does the same thing. Starts right around 78 and starts trailing off in the upper 80's. It hasn't gotten worse in the 4k miles I've put on, but I don't think it's gotten any better either.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yup, the noise is easily transmitted through the short 3rd link mounted to the pumpkin. 3.73 gears have been and always will be whiny. gets insanely loud with heim joint 3rd links.

the2finger said:
Mine wines like a whore in chains at that speed. It's the nature of the gear ratio

It has always been a problem with factory gear setups, the lower gear ratios tend to make noise because they are spinning much faster than high ratios. 2.73's the pinion goes around 2.73 times for every rotation of the ring gear, so you can imagine 3.73's or 4.56's the rotation is quite high. At high speeds the noise can be quite noticeable.

Gear setup is critical to keeping the noise down and maintaining gear life. High quality gear oil and a diff cooler will help with gear life but proper setup means a lot. The factory has a fairly wide tolerance range for acceptable gear patterns, hence some will be noisey, some won't.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ford used to set up the best rear ends in the industry. The Sterling Gear plant made the best gears in the world, all the nascar teams up to the early 90s used Ford factory gear sets in their pumkins. Since the 2000s there have been alot of complaints with Ford factory setups, like NewBoss and Pufferfish say 3.73s are pretty bad, actually 4.11 gears are usually quieter. Find a good drivetrain shop and ask who does their Ford gear work.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I remember a few years ago that ford racing gears were outsourced to motive gears and thats when the problems started. it will have a certain letter in the part number but I cant remember what that letter was. motive, pro 5.0 are horrible when it comes to gear whine. a non outsourced ford racing set is the best bet for aftermarket gears.

I have the same issue: hear a slight rear end whine around 77mph or so. Good to know that it is not defective, but nherent in the design. Funny thing though it was not present in my 13' GT Track pack car with the 3.73 rear end.....

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
vista6019 said:
I have the same issue: hear a slight rear end whine around 77mph or so. Good to know that it is not defective, but nherent in the design. Funny thing though it was not present in my 13' GT Track pack car with the 3.73 rear end.....
the bosses have less sounds deading material on them so that is most likely the cause.

I don't get on the interstate very much but when I do I notice the same type of noise at around 80. Wasn't too concerned about it but it seems to be getting louder and I think a long trip would drive me bonkers. Plan on visiting the dealer (if I can find a decent one) soon armed with the following from this forum. It appears BOSSBAD's problem was solved.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1674.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1oX024bi8g&context=C4901545ADvjVQa1PpcFNxdDzZzvITC5_Aii5g-Wp2kphczsBfDP8

I'm getting loud whine at all speeds now. :(

I'll try to get the car in next week to see what they say, but it is crazy loud (to me, anyway). Maybe I should make a little video.

TMO Supporting Vendors