The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rearend ratio upgrade???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lincoln, NE
Hi all!

I have a 2008 Roush 427R, supercharged 4.6, with 3.55's in the rear. Unfortunately, I have recently discovered that both my rear axles are bent and need to be replaced. Since the dealership will have the rear diff open, do you think its work upgrading from a 3.55s to a 3.73s?

My main activity with the car is local/regional autocross.

Thanks very much in advance!

Not sure why both axles would be bent without bending the housing.
Back in the day, we'd draw a line down the length of the axle, when it twisted 180 degrees, we'd swap sides until it untwisted, then threw those axles away. The only issue I have had with non drag race 8.8 axles is the area that rides on the bearings will degrade. Again, I would question the straightness of the housing if they claim the axles are bent.
FWIW..

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
One thing you want to look at is how close to the rev limit are you running. I have 3.73's and I've been tossing around going to 3.55 or 3.31 to eliminate shifting to third. I currently run 295/40-18's, probably will switch to 315/30-18's when this set is worn out and that will only make the problem worse.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
One thing you want to look at is how close to the rev limit are you running. I have 3.73's and I've been tossing around going to 3.55 or 3.31 to eliminate shifting to third. I currently run 295/40-18's, probably will switch to 315/30-18's when this set is worn out and that will only make the problem worse.

Me too! On 305/30-19s the car is over 7300 on the back straight in fifth. Meanwhile third gear is too low for some corners and 4th is too high. 3.55s would solve those issues. Stock motor and I want to keep it healthy for a long time, keeping revs down will go a long way towards that.

Xr7 and JDee are both correct, it depends on which tracks you are running and the transmission ratios available to you. If you just autocross, then, generally the more gear the merrier, but you still occasionally get stuck in an "in between" gear because the courses always change. Road courses, may have some different configurations, but for the most parts the straights stay pretty much the same, so you can base your gearing on that.

I have found this advantageous, even though you have to input your own gear ratios, they have factory gears listed, but it's all rice burner stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors