The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rebuilding my 2012 Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I'm looking to rebuild my 2012 Boss 302 rear suspension and add some front suspension bits if necessary.

She is a weekend driver with 2 Track Day weekends per year. Currently I have the KB rear setup and it's time to update.

I will build the rear suspension centered around the CorTex watts link. Thinking of going with FRPP Boss 302 LCA's and relo brackets and a FRPP adjustable PB. I just installed a Steeda adjustable UCA and will update this to the bearing and will replace the body mount bracket with their 1/4" unit.

I run FRPP T Springs and Koni Sports, which I like, but should I go with a different spring? Don't want to lower the front any more than .5". Thinking about raising the rear end just a bit, lowered 1.5" with T springs. Edit: Maybe lower 1.0" to 1.25" max from stock Boss spring settings, as I need room for my 3.0" exhaust pipes.

The above is just my initial thought and I'm open to all recommendations, but I don't want to go with coil overs.

What will I need for a good setup around the CorTex rear watts link?

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.
All the best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
I'm looking to rebuild my 2012 Boss 302 rear suspension and add some front suspension bits if necessary.

She is a weekend driver with 2 Track Day weekends per year. Currently I have the KB rear setup and it's time to update.

I will build the rear suspension centered around the CorTex watts link. Thinking of going with FRPP Boss 302 LCA's and relo brackets and a FRPP adjustable PB. I just installed a Steeda adjustable UCA and will update this to the bearing and will replace the body mount bracket with their 1/4" unit.

With only 2 Track Day weekends per year, it seems like the supenision that you have is top notch for a NoN deciated track car. Coil overs are the way to go if your main focus is tracking. I would just wait to install the CorTex Watts link. Installing to many parts at once makes it hard to know if one part made the change your looking for. Changing out your poly bushing control arms will bring alot of un-wanted noise in a street Boss. But as they say..Its your car. good luck with finding your suspenision set up thjat meets your Goal.

I run FRPP T Springs and Koni Sports, which I like, but should I go with a different spring? Don't want to lower the front any more than .5". Thinking about raising the rear end just a bit. Maybe 1.0" to 1.25" max, as I need room for my 3.0" exhaust pipes.

The above is just my initial thought and I'm open to all recommendations, but I don't want to go with coil overs.

Thanks in advance for your help an recommendations.
All the best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

EDIT: fix quotes

Dave, I'm using my FRPP poly RLCA's and relocation brackets with the CorteX watts link. I asked Filip about that and he said the Ford items play nicely with the CorteX products. If I didn't have them I would have bought the full Xtreme Grip street kit. See below for the items I installed on my car. Just got back from a 40 mile twisty drive and the rear end hopping has been greatly diminished with the watts link. I'll be back on track again in a couple of weeks and hope to really start pushing it with the new suspension. See below for the items I purchased from CorteX. Not listed is the Spec Mustang front brake kit with street calipers and anti-rattle hardware that I purchased from CorteX and installed in early 2014.

NFSBOSS said:
Made an appointment for CorteX to install their watts link, JRI SA dampers w/offset, adjustable sway bar end link, drop ball joints and bump steer kit. They will do a performance alignment and get everything setup.

IT's pretty hard core, but I'd call Phoenix and do exactly what they say, I will add however that Superhero is exactly right about how many times you take the car to the track, you really don't want to make it "unstreetable" from the harshness.

Although one could argue that what we run is pretty soft..

qFrE6hnl.jpg

7W3nZJ2l.jpg

blacksheep-1 said:
IT's pretty hard core, but I'd call Phoenix and do exactly what they say, I will add however that Superhero is exactly right about how many times you take the car to the track, you really don't want to make it "unstreetable" from the harshness.

Although one could argue that what we run is pretty soft..

qFrE6hnl.jpg

7W3nZJ2l.jpg

That first pic is epic!

302 Hi Pro said:

I run FRPP T Springs and Koni Sports, which I like, but should I go with a different spring? Don't want to lower the front any more than .5". Thinking about raising the rear end just a bit, lowered 1.5" with T springs. Edit: Maybe lower 1.0" to 1.25" max from stock Boss spring settings, as I need room for my 3.0" exhaust pipes.

Thanks in advance for your help an recommendations.
All the best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

What are your main issues right now? if it seems good what are you wanting to improve? Not that real improvement is needed to justifying buying new cool suspension items.. that's hardly a concern of mine :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Dave,

If you upgrade to the spherical upper from Steeda it will clunk around like crazy on the street...especially if you have eliminated the rubber bushing on the diff housing. Ask me how I know :)

I actually just reinstalled the stock upper control arm because it was too much to drive on the street. The stock upper with the Steeda spherical bushing in the diff housing works great. It doesn't clunk and is still more firm than all stock. I will mention that I have spherical lower control arms too but it seems that most of the NVH increase you will hear and feel comes from the upper control arm. You will also hear more driveshaft noise and pinion whine. Good luck in your decision and whatever you do, I would stick with Ford Racing parts over the other aftermarket guys...ask me how I know that too :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Adam:
Thanks for checking in on my rear suspension rebuild project. Long story short, I was involved with a 6 month affair with Kooks on a defective set of Super Street headers, but have to say they finally made thing right. I just completed the install in mid July 2015 after ordering the headers in December 2014.

So, needless to say that episode took a bit of steam out of my 2015 Summer Mod session! Good news is the Boss is running Stronger than ever.

As far as the rear suspension, I totally agree with your UCA assessment. I tried the KB UCA and the noise was unbearably bad, took it out and reinstalled the Steeda Poly adjustable UCA.

My thoughts now are to install the Ford Performance Boss 302 RLCA'S (with bearings), and relo brackets. Also thinking about installing a MultiMatic UCA, it is a bit pricy, but looks like a solid unit. I do really like the KB PB and PB brace relocation kit and will keep this setup. It sure makes my Boss turn on a dime and I like how the steering wheel self centers coming out of the corner under power. (Caster - Camber relationship settings?)

Also on WOT standing starts, the rear plants nicely with controlled throttle or clutch engagement and when I do break the rear loose, she is smooth as silk with zero wheel hop.

I'll figure out something this winter, order parts and install this spring for the 2016 season.

OBTW, I been watching your latest Race Vids, and your driving skills are coming along nicely. Big improvement in your Driver skills, Nice work and congratulations.

As Always,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Flyboygsxr said:
Dave,

If you upgrade to the spherical upper from Steeda it will clunk around like crazy on the street...especially if you have eliminated the rubber bushing on the diff housing. Ask me how I know :)

I actually just reinstalled the stock upper control arm because it was too much to drive on the street. The stock upper with the Steeda spherical bushing in the diff housing works great. It doesn't clunk and is still more firm than all stock. I will mention that I have spherical lower control arms too but it seems that most of the NVH increase you will hear and feel comes from the upper control arm. You will also hear more driveshaft noise and pinion whine. Good luck in your decision and whatever you do, I would stick with Ford Racing parts over the other aftermarket guys...ask me how I know that too :)

TRUE......ask me how I know..lol

Guys,
How do you get your hands on the Multimatic upper control arm (Boss 302R/S)? Who sells this?

Thanks,
BT

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel