The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaro is taking a look!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have made contact with Recaro and will be taking my car to their facility tomorrow because I am told they want to see the seat condition. Unfortunately this seat only has around 500 miles on it because I just had it warrantied at Ford dealership. Still shows some scruff under my right butt cheek though, so maybe they will find that interesting. I am wondering if they even knew of a problem because up until this point has Ford been absorbing all the complaints and repairs?

max5ive0 said:
I have made contact with Recaro and will be taking my car to their facility tomorrow because I am told they want to see the seat condition. Unfortunately this seat only has around 500 miles on it because I just had it warrantied at Ford dealership. Still shows some scruff under my right butt cheek though, so maybe they will find that interesting. I am wondering if they even knew of a problem because up until this point has Ford been absorbing all the complaints and repairs?

Please let us know what Recaro says. I've already had my driver seat cover replaced due to wear on the side bolster near the door. The seatbelt makes contact with it and rubs causing a wear mark and eventual tear/cut. Had it replaced at around 12,000 miles but again now see the same problem happening at 19,000 miles. Not sure what to do this time around.....can't keep getting replacements unless Recaro is willing to do so for the life of the car.

Too bad there isn't another Boss owner in your area with seats showing wear that haven't been repaired that they could look at as well. If that's not possible, I'm sure there are some here who could send photos for their review.

I agree that offering replacement covers at a steep discount would be a step in the right direction. Changing to a more wear resistant material with a no-cost re-cover would be even better.

I applaud Recaro for being willing to take a look and you for initiating the contact. Please keep us posted.

On my first BOSS I had the wearing issue show up at the 2,000 mile mark. I now have a second BOSS and this one is at the 2,500 mile mark with no sign of the wear. The difference is that I now take my wallet out of my right rear pocket when I drive this one. The wear pattern was right were my wallet was. I "think", that was what made this weak link show up.

I had to have my Recaro driver seat cover reupholstered because of a run on the stitching. Get this, the car only had 156 miles on it. Of course, Ford took care of it, but "Recaro" should know about the problems that are arising from the seats. After all, they are high dollar. Glad to see they are interested.

Looking forward to this myself. Had mine warrantied as well and have minor wear again, not as bad as the first time. I sent multiple emails to different emails and could never get a response.

Unfortunately, even if Ford fixes the wear under warranty it's likely to occur again (and again) unless the underlying problem is addressed by Recaro. And what do we do once the car is out of warranty? I don't know about the rest of you but I expect to have this car for a long time and paying to have my seats re-covered on a regular basis is not something I am looking forward to.

So far I have not had a problem with my seats but most of the miles on my car are from long-distance drives so not a high ratio of entries/exits per distance traveled.

Max5ive0,
where are you taking your car to Recaro? I talked to them at the Detroit Grand Prix where they had a display booth and basicly they told me I was full of crap and take it to Ford for warranty. I asked them if they had any improved covers and how I could get replacement covers. Yes please share what they tell you.

I took my car to Recaro today. Like I said, I was attending a class in their Child Safety Seat facility just down the road from their Automotive Seat facility. I mentioned to one of the Recaro Child Seat employees the wear problem. He used to work in automotive so be called a contact that still works there. She was very interested and asked if I were willing to bring it by. So the guy took me over to Recaro Automotive facility to see her, and asked me to pull around to the back bay doors. There was about 6 employees waiting to check this thing out. They loved the car BTW! So the Director of Operations introduced himself and stuck his head in and looked and asked if I could leave it for a while. No problem. We talked about possibly replacing the seat entirely, but air bags were too great of cost. Understandable right? Then talked about just giving me a seat cover to keep on hand in case I needed to sell the car and I could have it reupholstered, but I forgot what reason that didn't pan out.
So when I got it back, he explained he believes that the production of the Boss called for a very aggressive seat and that this wear may not be avoidable for guys my size. 6'2" and around 230 lb. I am thinking he meant by aggressive seat that they needed a material that had a high coefficient of friction so butts don't slide around when running hard around a road course. This makes sense to me but Hopefully it isn't just an excuse. After all, the seat is obsolete and they may not have an alternative. I know I don't want a GT seat in cloth or leather, or a Shelby seat either for that matter, just wouldn't match up with the rest of the interior.
He did ask me to bring it back after this newly warranted seat has some more miles and wear so they can see it again, and also alluded to somehow they would take care of me. They DID NOT act like they knew this was a problem and were placating me so I'd be nicey nicey on the forums. They genuinely seemed to take interest in the case, even if they can't permanently fix it and still keep the seat original.

I will continue to update this when I get more information, but for now I would still get your warranty work through Ford. I would imagine that If Ford replaces enough of them they will crack the whip on Recaro one way or another, and they want to please Ford probably more than the rare Boss owner.

On top of all this, I got a personal tour of the assembly plant and saw some VERY COOL THINGS! Recaro is assembling right here in Auburn Hills, both child seats and automotive seats, and they are really expanding their materials manufacturing here in 'Merica as well. Overall, with this class I took and this experience, I have nothing but great things to say about that company. Employees are happy, they are growing and producing stateside, and they are DEFINATELY improving the interiors of several big 3 cars, even if this one has had some bumps.

Glad it went well. I wish all of us could line up our cars and show them. Curious, in talking with them did you let them know that there were a significant amount of Boss owners having an issue?

I can't find the post, but someone on another forum got to someone at some executive level, I think at some kind of trade show and he expressed real concern as well and was to look into the issue.

Unfortunately I will not hold my breath with Ford raising the issue with Recaro.

Here's a significant data point. On my last car I was mildly concerned at about 3000 miles when I could start to detect some wear where I slid in and out in my 80 year old tight garage. At 26,000 miles it was exactly the same. It did not get any worse over that time frame.

Isnt the boss the only "cloth" recaro of all the mustangs? Do you think the GT's and GT500's will have the same wear problems on their leather seats? If they do, im sure something will become of this at a higher level and eventually be taken care of...for all of us mustang/ recaro owners.

Shaun12 said:
Isnt the boss the only "cloth" recaro of all the mustangs? Do you think the GT's and GT500's will have the same wear problems on their leather seats? If they do, im sure something will become of this at a higher level and eventually be taken care of...for all of us mustang/ recaro owners.
The GT track pack cars came with cloth Recaros in 13. A friend of mine has one, and they are different material but still cloth

TMO Supporting Vendors