The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaro Seats - premature wear & new custom seat covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well got word. That was fast. Claim was denied. They said wear appears to be from repeated rubbing with a sharp object. Last I checked, my butt is soft and pudgy...now I have to battle with CS only after a week. The honeymoon is over.

To the gent that had this serviced. Can you post a pic so I can see if it is similar to mine? Or if you have a claim number I can have ford reference? They did not send pics to Recaro.

Darth Boss said:
Well got word. That was fast. Claim was denied. They said wear appears to be from repeated rubbing with a sharp object. Last I checked, my butt is soft and pudgy...now I have to battle with CS only after a week. The honeymoon is over.

To the gent that had this serviced. Can you post a pic so I can see if it is similar to mine? Or if you have a claim number I can have ford reference? They did not send pics to Recaro.

I cannot find the pic's I took; I will check with my service advisor and try to get my claim number. In the mean time, pls post a pic(s) of the wear on your seat that I can look at and compare to the issues I had. Thanks.

privera302 said:
Darth Boss said:

I cannot find the pic's I took; I will check with my service advisor and try to get my claim number. In the mean time, pls post a pic(s) of the wear on your seat that I can look at and compare to the issues I had. Thanks.

I've tried using the choose file link. It lets me pic from my library of photos on my ipad but I get an error. I've looked at the sticky thread about photos but I'm at work so I haven't dove into it. I don't have a photo hosting site, so if I can't post from my ipad I'm out of luck for the time being.

Service manager from the dealer I bought the car is looking into it now and I called and put a claim into Ford Customer Service.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Darth Boss said:

Did any family member or a friend of a family member possibly sit in the car and maybe you didn't know it at the time and damaged the seats?

I had the daughter of a nephew sit in the leather interior of my new SUV with her "bedazzled" belt and scraped the leather.

The only reason I am saying is because after 1000 miles of ownership, there are no wear issues with my seats.

However, there is always the possibility Recaro had a bad run of cloth for the seats.

same here, 5k+ no issues. the car gets driven everyday to work.
However, I do wear dress pants to work, I would imagine the seats would see more wear with jeans on.

F.D. Sako said:
same here, 5k+ no issues. the car gets driven everyday to work.
However, I do wear dress pants to work, I would imagine the seats would see more wear with jeans on.

It has been 10 days...that's part of the problem. Frustrating. We will see what they say.

Again @ 1000 miles the bottom of the seat showed wear.Dealer took a few pictures and sent them in,3 days later they approved the seat repair,only problem its happening again. I don't beat on the car,always keep it clean so I don't know why the premature wear?

I just had my driver seat bottom replaced today. Ford replaced it under warranty with no problems. The material under my right leg was pilling and some of the threads looked like they were gone or ready to go. I have 8000 miles on the car, and I am easy on the seats. I usually wear jeans or shorts, that may or may not have velcro on the pockets. Even if they do have velcro it is absolutely not a reason for these seats to be doing this. My son has a 2003 SVT Focus with leather seats with cloth inserts. Over 130,000 miles the leather has holes but the cloth looks like new, except for the dirt. He definitely does not baby his seats, or car.

I have seen this on several other Boss 302 Recaro seats. It is interesting that some people are not having an issue, maybe it is the dress pants. At any rate this is not acceptable. Everyone having problems need to start calling Ford and complain. I plan to keep this car well beyond the warranty period and I don't want to have to replace the seat covers on my dime. The bottom seat cover alone was $850 from Ford.

The dealer sent the car to a local upholstery shop. I talked to the owner there who also agrees there is something wrong with the material.

To keep the wear to a minimum I keep the seat in the full down position to prevent sliding across the lower bolster getting in and out , and alway's slide the seat fully to the rear when getting out , plus I keep a towel on the seat bottom .

I had alcantara seats in my last car, there was no visible wear (I kept it really clean, so not even soiled at all) after 20k miles including a lot of track days, and I wore whatever pants I had on. Automotive grade microsuede is very durable when it is high quality. Those seats were Recaro OEMs.

I suspect the issue is the loose fit of the covers, they were very snug on my other car. These covers bunch up and slide around, which significantly increases the wear. I don't know why they made them so loose on this car, as my other Recaro OEM seats and those in friends' cars are snug and don't move around. Though this is also the first car I've had with shoulder wear from the seatbelt at such low miles. Not all Recaros are built the same I suppose.

The wear I have is on the seat bottom and not the suede areas.

Ford Customer Relations gave me the Digital Imaging department's determination is final speech. Supervisor then said it is not wear from rubbing of a sharp object but from rubbing of a object. I said yes, my leg and butt. He said no, clearly from some foreign object, maybe from a test drive. I was so upset.

My options are have the dealership appeal or tak it to another dealership for a second opinion. He said it is the dealerships decision even though the predetermination was denied. I don't get that.

I've talked to the service manager at the dealer where I bought the car and he seems to be understanding and agrees based on the photos I sent. So I have to take it into him Friday to look at. We shall see. As the world turns....

GA
Darth Boss said:

Ford Customer Relations gave me the Digital Imaging department's determination is final speech. Supervisor then said it is not wear from rubbing of a sharp object but from rubbing of a object. I said yes, my leg and butt. He said no, clearly from some foreign object, maybe from a test drive. I was so upset.

My options are have the dealership appeal or tak it to another dealership for a second opinion. He said it is the dealerships decision even though the predetermination was denied. I don't get that.

I've talked to the service manager at the dealer where I bought the car and he seems to be understanding and agrees based on the photos I sent. So I have to take it into him Friday to look at. We shall see. As the world turns....

My fiancee bought her 2008 convertible Warrior in Pink Mustang and when they were prepping it the tech forgot he had a screwdriver in his back pocket and sat down. It punctured a hole in her seat. The service manager came out and told her about it and had a replacement seat cover on order right away. The tech could have not said anything that just let her drive out, leaving her to play a blame game later on. Having a good dealer makes the difference. They have gone to bat for us with Ford before on warranty issues.

Darth Boss said:

Can you post a picture? So it is the actual ass-pad part? Not the ass-bolsters?

Ford told me the same thing with my brake issue, they determined that it was user abuse that my brakes were leaking when I got home from buying the car, and denied coverage, but that my dealer could override that decision. No appeals process, they refused to look at the pictures or even video showing the odo then the brakes... but then I had a sit down with the dealership's service department manager and he overrode it. Poor lemon lawyer, I had to let him down easy. 9 months and 6 or 7 trips to the dealer to get warranty denied on a caliper, his eyes were full of dollar signs ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel