The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaro's / Torsen or Not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi gang. I just registered. This looks like fun. I have placed my order for my Boss, but I am rethinking my decision whether to get the Recaro / Torsen option. I did not order that option package, but the dealer says I can still change my order. Any downside to the Recaro's / Torsen? I do not plan on extensive track use - maybe a weekend or two a year at best. Would most folks prefer these options?

I sat in both when the cars were unveiled last year at Laguna Seca. Both are quite comfortable. Obviously the Recaros have better lateral support than the base seats, though they are not of the aggressive, glove-fit variety. They also look a lot cooler FWIW. I think it's safe to say that no one will regret getting them but many of those who don't will later wish they had. As far as the Torsen, you'll probably never notice the difference in your situation. One of the Ford engineers did make an interesting comment in this regard on one of the videos. He said that the rear swaybar on the Laguna Seca is so stiff it would have burned up the clutches in the standard rearend, hence the reason for going with the Torsen.

Thanks for the input. My concern with the Recaro's is that they would be too tight, so good to hear they are not the glove-fit ones I have seen on a number of other vehicles.

DT

DBRSFO said:
Hi gang. I just registered. This looks like fun. I have placed my order for my Boss, but I am rethinking my decision whether to get the Recaro / Torsen option. I did not order that option package, but the dealer says I can still change my order. Any downside to the Recaro's / Torsen? I do not plan on extensive track use - maybe a weekend or two a year at best. Would most folks prefer these options?

No go on any options here and it hauls ass.

Of course it does depend on one's build. I'm about 6'1" 180. The typical American high fructose corn syrup junkie might find them a little snug. I think the best seats are those you don't notice until you take a corner and then feel the side bolsters. I think these Recaros are that way.

GA
I like the leather GT500 seats in my Bullitt- extremely comfortable and keep me planted when on the track. I have not sat in the standard Boss seats or Boss Recaro seats, so I can't say. I have sat in the the GT500 leather Recaro seats and they were nice and comfortable, but being a typical American high fructose corn syrup junkie they were a little tight. I think getting the Recaro seats would be good incentive to lose weight (although we all end up just as dead so the fit guys just give the worms leaner meat to feed on, which I am sure they appreciate. ;) ).

65sohc said:
I sat in both when the cars were unveiled last year at Laguna Seca. Both are quite comfortable. Obviously the Recaros have better lateral support than the base seats, though they are not of the aggressive, glove-fit variety. They also look a lot cooler FWIW. I think it's safe to say that no one will regret getting them but many of those who don't will later wish they had. As far as the Torsen, you'll probably never notice the difference in your situation. One of the Ford engineers did make an interesting comment in this regard on one of the videos. He said that the rear swaybar on the Laguna Seca is so stiff it would have burned up the clutches in the standard rearend, hence the reason for going with the Torsen.
I couldn't have said it better. The only thing I would add is that if you decide to sell it down the road, the market will probably be larger for the car with these options than without based on the initial sales. It certainly appears that most buyers are opting for the Torsen/Recaros. Logic would follow that most secondary buyers would have the same preferences.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I revised my order today to include the Recaros and Torsen Diff. If for no other reason, because I take the point that most people will be looking for these options on resale. Now I can't wait to get it on the track at Infineon.

65sohc said:
Of course it does depend on one's build. I'm about 6'1" 180. The typical American high fructose corn syrup junkie might find them a little snug. I think the best seats are those you don't notice until you take a corner and then feel the side bolsters. I think these Recaros are that way.
5'10" and 160 lbs of no junk food consumption here. Bring on the Recaros ;)

GA
Kaylan1521 said:
65sohc said:

Paul, you're gonna have to put a car seat in that thing or you will roll around in there. ;)

PJWANNABE said:
Kaylan1521 said:
65sohc said:

Paul, you're gonna have to put a car seat in that thing or you will roll around in there. ;)
Lol I'm no HFCS junkie but I Resemble one o_O

TMO Supporting Vendors