The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

recaro's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan on tracking my car now and then. I do not have the Recaro's and would like them. Anyone pulled the out and want to sell?

Here you go. They are on sale so don't hesitate. ;)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=M63660005MB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping

emcrace said:
Plan on tracking my car now and then. I do not have the Recaro's and would like them. Anyone pulled the out and want to sell?
You could buy a four point roll bar, race seat and harnesses for less than the cost of the Recaros. Then you just unbolt your factory seat and bolt in the race seat for track days and keep your factory seat and 3 point for the street.

98RedGT

2012 #552
this is why you get the option with the car, it's cheaper. unless you had no choice of course because the car was already without the option.

The down side of these, AND, the factory version, is NO PLACE to slide in the center of a 5-point harness! WTH!?!?! Not even the LS has anything so you'll find that your first mod will be to a upholstery shop to have the seat cut and an opening created. It's HUGE miss for those that intend to do some serious track events.

BTW, if you get a "roll bar", make sure it's secured to the frame and not just bolted to the floor where it will just pop off in a real accident and serve no purpose.

Good luck!

It would still be a two piece reclining seat with nowhere to attach the sub-belt. The best answer is to have a race seat to bolt in for track days with attachment points in the floor for the sub-belts. All of the roll bars I've seen listed by members on this site attach to the structural gusset locations at the base of the B pillars which is one of the strongest points on the frame. Using harnesses without a roll bar introduces significant risk if you did manage to flip it on its lid.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The cost of the cage + racing seat makes it not an easy option to choose. Especially when you were recently laid off ::) and you're dealing with new rubber/wheels/pads and it's only the beginning of May. Some thoughts:

On the sub-belts: I have a call into Schroth about using sub belts that pass back through the seat in the gap where the bottom cushion meets the backrest. I have a Schroth Profi II system that can be used in 4 point or 6 point mode. Right now it's 4 point and I use a harness bar. Recently I've seen some installs where the subs go under your butt, through the seat 'crack' and tie to mount points behind the seat on the rear flooring. Some guys have mount points installed on the floorboards and some have the sub belt ends tied back to the stock 3-point system tie points at the hips. I'm considering a third option where I can install a heavy steel piece across the back rear of the seats and bolt it down to the existing reat seat bolts. I would then tie the ends of the subs to that bar. From a physics standpoint I can't think of a reason why this approach would be less safe than a standard 'through the seat' install with a true racing seat (outside of the added protection of a real racing seat itself). Again, it may not be the optimum solution but I'm sure it's better than no subs at all.

On the harness bar vs. roll cage: Gary's right, if you use harnesses w/o a cage you do have more risk if you flip the car for sure. The one way I've addressed this to some level is to use Schroth 3" harnesses that are Hans approved and have the ASM system. In the event of a crash one shoulder harness will expand and allow the torso to twist, hence letting you drop your head as if you were using stock belts. Again, this is not the same as having even a 1/2 cage, but it's still better than not having any protection with standard belts or using the stock 3-point IMHO.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Here you go. They are on sale so don't hesitate. ;)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=M63660005MB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping
cheaper here. and orders over 1650 ship for free
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=1000122&siteid=214771&catalogid=5684

PeteInCT said:
The cost of the cage + racing seat makes it not an easy option to choose. Especially when you were recently laid off ::) and you're dealing with new rubber/wheels/pads and it's only the beginning of May. Some thoughts:

On the sub-belts: I have a call into Schroth about using sub belts that pass back through the seat in the gap where the bottom cushion meets the backrest. I have a Schroth Profi II system that can be used in 4 point or 6 point mode. Right now it's 4 point and I use a harness bar. Recently I've seen some installs where the subs go under your butt, through the seat 'crack' and tie to mount points behind the seat on the rear flooring. Some guys have mount points installed on the floorboards and some have the sub belt ends tied back to the stock 3-point system tie points at the hips. I'm considering a third option where I can install a heavy steel piece across the back rear of the seats and bolt it down to the existing reat seat bolts. I would then tie the ends of the subs to that bar. From a physics standpoint I can't think of a reason why this approach would be less safe than a standard 'through the seat' install with a true racing seat (outside of the added protection of a real racing seat itself). Again, it may not be the optimum solution but I'm sure it's better than no subs at all.

On the harness bar vs. roll cage: Gary's right, if you use harnesses w/o a cage you do have more risk if you flip the car for sure. The one way I've addressed this to some level is to use Schroth 3" harnesses that are Hans approved and have the ASM system. In the event of a crash one shoulder harness will expand and allow the torso to twist, hence letting you drop your head as if you were using stock belts. Again, this is not the same as having even a 1/2 cage, but it's still better than not having any protection with standard belts or using the stock 3-point IMHO.
Pete,

Take a look at these 01324 brackets. We bolt them to the rear seat bolts for attaching the lap belts. They're designed to bend 90 degrees and twist without compromising the strength. You could use them to attach the sub belts to these like you're describing.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-competition-belts/competition-hardware/bolt-in-brackets

I'm using eyebolts like this for the two sub belts in the floor with a washer:

http://www.lpiracing.com/CROW-Harness-11548-Eye-Bolt-12330p122175.htm

PeteInCT

Connecticut
My concern with the Schroth brackets is that there may be an issue with moving the seat all the way back, but for the price of the brackets it's worth a try now that I look at them again. I'm trying to not go through the floorboards if I can.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
Have you guys seen these? I think the on the seat up between your legs should work.
http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_ClipSet2Seat.shtml

I forgot about those - that would work !

TMO Supporting Vendors