The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommend purchase of 2012 or 2013 Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello guys. Great site you have here. I'm a big mustang fan, purchased my first GT in 1987 and currently own a 2007 Roush Blackjack which is up for sale. I'm leaning toward purchasing a Boss 302 instead of another stage 3 Roush and using it as a daily driver during the summertime. It's my understanding that the Boss will not be offered in 2014 so my question would be - Is the 2013 Boss superior to the 2012? Did Ford have to work out any problem areas in the 2012 or 2013's? I know I can save several thousand buying a gently used 2012 so I was trying to get a heads up from people in the know. Thanks, Dan

BLAZN BOSS

same drive train, the radiator and engine bay ambient temps are better in the 13's than the 12's which will make a difference if you track your car. the 13 has better apps than the 12.

As a DD there are no significant differences. There were some very noticeable design changes between the '12 and '13 - front grille and hood, rear including taillights, stripes and paint scheme, etc.

There are some 'small' differences that may be important to you as a DD such as HID headlights and Synch on the '13.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The '13s have sync, hood vents, removable foglight covers, drain plugs in the diff cover (some not all).

The '12s just look better ;)

I wouldn't get an early build '12 either...there are undocumented engine changes.

The biggest difference is the 2012 car is faster and was proved by it winning a championship in the SCCA World Challenge series. The 2013 did not win a championship in either of the classes is was designed to compete in. ;)

Seriously both are virtually mechanically identical so pick the one you like the looks of. On the 2013's the gauges are really not a big deal but you'll probably use SYNC and HID's on a daily basis. Both would have been nice to have on the 2012's. The heat vents on the 2013 hoods are nice and functional but don't do much at the track and they still have overheating issues. A more open grille is required for both for serious track duty. Good luck with your search.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
dkr77 said:
Is the 2013 Boss superior to the 2012? Did Ford have to work out any problem areas in the 2012 or 2013's? I know I can save several thousand buying a gently used 2012 so I was trying to get a heads up from people in the know. Thanks, Dan

I would buy the fastest color no matter what the model year.

One you have established that (you will receive lots of real good, unbiased help here), then you can choose your model year.

:)

four-walling said:
I would buy the fastest color no matter what the model year.

One you have established that (you will receive lots of real good, unbiased help here), then you can choose your model year.

:)

If you go by that criteria you are limited to a 2013. ;)

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Buy the color you like the best, that would be the deciding factor for me.
And I agree with was said above get a later 2012 car.
I like 12s front end better, but like 13s reflective stripe, but like the 12s stripe design.
I like the 13s taillights better and wish my 12 had sync.
But really dislike the 13s front end, reminds me of a Dodge and hate the headlights being on inside vs the 12s headlights on outer.
13s hood vents drip water on heavy rain or washing.
Besides Sync, I like the 12s barebones, reminds me more of old school.

Thanks guys. I really like the White with black stripe package on both the 2012 and 13 Boss. Anyone here own the Laguna Seca models - and if so how would one be for a daily driver?

I prefer the 12, I think the 13 is too easily confused with a Shelby with the gimp front end.
Pic the Color you like, and drive the wheels off it, you will love it.

I'm partial.....I like the 2013 better.....Black LS would be my choice if I didn't have my kids to haul around.

But all Bosses are Badass...You can't go wrong!

12's are a bit more unique in that they don't look like a 12 Shelby . Like everyone has said, it really depends on what YOU like. If your are into Hids, body color rocker moldings, reflective stripes, sync, hood vents, Shelby style front nose then go for the 13. If you're looking for something a bit more distinctive(nose, roof, textured rocker moldings) then the 12 may be the one for you. Either way, you can not go wrong.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Definitely stay away from green. It's ugly and slow...

On the other hand, it is a color that stands out and with the black stripes, man, it don't get no betta!!! GHIG has an awesome copper flake in it that bursts out when the sun hits it... Looks flat seafoam in the evening light but the sun LOVES that color!

John

If you plan on using it more as a daily the '13 will have a few more creature comforts because of the sync and the LCD guage screen with apps. Other than that...go with what you think looks good.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Yeah, that's a good point. I use the hands free function of Sync all the time and with the console mounted USB port, load a flash stick full of music or pod casts and you're good to go for hours!!!

john

TMO Supporting Vendors