The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommendation for a tow hook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking into installing a tow hook on 2011. The only options I see are Ford Performance support bean or Blowfish tow hook assembly.

Thoughts/recommendations? Did I miss any? Any one have one for sale?

Thanks,

Vadim.

PS: car is daily driver with occasional track.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I am looking into installing a tow hook on 2011. The only options I see are Ford Performance support bean or Blowfish tow hook assembly.

Thoughts/recommendations? Did I miss any? Any one have one for sale?

Thanks,

Vadim.

PS: car is daily driver with occasional track.

I have the FRPP unit and it’s great, but if yours is a daily you may be better to go Blowfish. Not aware of any license plate adapters for FRPP and depending upon your state that could be an issue. I plan to create an adapter for mine but it is on a long list of other projects.

I have the FRPP unit and it’s great, but if yours is a daily you may be better to go Blowfish. Not aware of any license plate adapters for FRPP and depending upon your state that could be an issue. I plan to create an adapter for mine but it is on a long list of other projects.
Front license plate is in the trunk for the last 2+ years ;)

drano38

Wayne
Cooltech makes front and rear kit. I think they sell colored plastic plugs to fill thole when not in use.
I have the Ford Racing ones welded front and back. I wish the Blowfish one was available when I got mine, because I would have went that route.

drano38

Wayne
Blowfish is bolt on and does not require cutting a hole in the bumper plastic. Two big advantages.
Ford Racing -- they are welded on. I paid a Ford dealer 8 hours labor to install the front and back. And thats after they installed them on 2 other vehicles.

Blowfish is bolt on and does not require cutting a hole in the bumper plastic. Two big advantages.
Ford Racing -- they are welded on. I paid a Ford dealer 8 hours labor to install the front and back. And thats after they installed them on 2 other vehicles.
I was under impression that M-17757-MB is bolt on, I'll contact Ford Racing tomorrow. If welding is required, it is no go....

Thank you.

drano38

Wayne
My bad. M-17757-MB does bolt on. I have the Ford Racing/Multimatic, and they are just the tow hook plate that is welded to the stock bumpers.
The M-17757-MB has that same (or very similar) piece already welded onto the tube bumper.
You'll have to cut a rectangle hole in the plastic bumper cover.
The Blowfish does not require any new holes as far as I know.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
As it appears to me, the Blowfish will come in below the bumper cover in the lower grill area, and also I could mount offset to the edge of that grill area if I wanted. Does that sound accurate to anyone that has one?

I ended up ordering Bowfish. It dies not require cutting the hole, there is an option of using it for license plate (if police will make us install it) and it is way cheaper. Will post some photos.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Blowfish get's my vote. Easy to install and the license plate adapter comes in handy for those of us who need a front plate. It's an easy install and looks great although thankfully I haven't had a need to use it yet.

I emailed cool tech a few days ago and haven’t heard anything back. I first saw them here on a TMO search and looked like a good way to go because it looks like it bolts to an inherently stronger part of the car. A’m I mistaken? As an added bonus I can adapt it for a front license plate when I get the “fix it” ticket

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Blowfish get's my vote. Easy to install and the license plate adapter comes in handy for those of us who need a front plate. It's an easy install and looks great although thankfully I haven't had a need to use it yet.

Blowfish gets my vote too. After many years of exposure from driving my Boss for some 30k miles, it looks as good now as the day I installed it. Great product.

P.S. I know I’m a newbie and I would never bash anyone and/or their product. This is the first forum I’ve ever joined and not exactly versed in the proper protocol. I am hoping to benefit from your knowledge so any and all help is appreciated. A good tow hook that can pull my car out if/when I’m 100’ in the infield buried up to the axles seems like cheap insurance. Am I asking too much? Did I mention I’m new

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
My comment is a testament to the high quality of materials used by Blowfish Racing in their manufacturing process.

But pick one that suits your needs, it’s just a tow hook. Hopefully you won’t need it too often.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
+1

Steve at Blowfish races his Mustangs and knows what we need. With as many members here who have bought and installed Steve's tow hooks, myself included, if there was a failure or issue with one of his hooks, someone would have posted their negative experience. Of course, there is the possibility Not One of us has ever had an off track experience and needed to use The Hook. LOL. Could be.....right?

The two things that impress me about Steve's hooks are the build quality and the fact he took the time to design a system where you don't simply take a saw to your bumper covers. The front fits inside the grill opening and the rear hides behind the rear plate. His front plate bracket is also a nice touch.

BTW Welcome to the site.

My comment is a testament to the high quality of materials used by Blowfish Racing in their manufacturing process.

But pick one that suits your needs, it’s just a tow hook. Hopefully you won’t need it too often.

Thanks for the reply. I figure this topic probably comes up way too often especially with newbies; just looking to arm myself with the most possible information before laying out my hard earned $ for what I’m thinking is a necessity for the track. I have more time on the track on motorcycles than cars and the old adage is There are two type’s of riders- Those who’ve been down and those that are going down.
* I’ll certainly try to avoid it

+1

Steve at Blowfish races his Mustangs and knows what we need. With as many members here who have bought and installed Steve's tow hooks, myself included, if there was a failure or issue with one of his hooks, someone would have posted their negative experience. Of course, there is the possibility Not One of us has ever had an off track experience and needed to use The Hook. LOL. Could be.....right?

The two things that impress me about Steve's hooks are the build quality and the fact he took the time to design a system where you don't simply take a saw to your bumper covers. The front fits inside the grill opening and the rear hides behind the rear plate. His front plate bracket is also a nice touch.

BTW Welcome to the site.
+1

BTW Welcome to the site.
+1

BTW Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. Much appreciated

TMO Supporting Vendors