The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommendation for a tow hook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
But pick one that suits your needs, it’s just a tow hook. Hopefully you won’t need it too often.
^I think this is the right answer.

The current blowfish clamp-over-the-OEM-beam carries a bit of weight. I have his first generation hook on my Boss and I’m honestly not sure it will hold if it’s ever needed. I’m pretty sure the current offering is strong enough.

I have the cooltech one on my GT. Not a lot of weight, but needs a hole in the bumper cover. I like that it accepts an OEM BMW hook and pulls directly on the frame rail and not the center of the beam. Sounds like availability might be an issue at the moment.

Lighter than that would be a weld on tab type.

And lighter than that would be the tubular beam with a welded tab.

^I think this is the right answer.

The current blowfish clamp-over-the-OEM-beam carries a bit of weight. I have his first generation hook on my Boss and I’m honestly not sure it will hold if it’s ever needed. I’m pretty sure the current offering is strong enough.

I have the cooltech one on my GT. Not a lot of weight, but needs a hole in the bumper cover. I like that it accepts an OEM BMW hook and pulls directly on the frame rail and not the center of the beam. Sounds like availability might be an issue at the moment.

Lighter than that would be a weld on tab type.

And lighter than that would be the tubular beam with a welded tab.
Thanks for the input. It was nice to get your reply. I discovered TMO after digging a little deep in a Google search for “best tow hook“
Your pictures and tips were the highlight of a 2012 thread about installing the Cool Tech hook between you and quite a few long time members. It looked like it might be the most structurally solid solution for a bolt on. I know I’m a bit crazy but it would give me a little bit of that warm and cozy feeling inside knowing that I could basically “hang” my car in the air from my tow hook if I ever end up needing my car pulled out of a worst case scenario. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you don’t have the proper means to tow your car off the track you’ll most likely end up with even more damage to your car from the tow driver using an a-arm or other component of your car as the tow point. The aesthetics of putting a hole in my bumper is of secondary importance to me. Would love to bolt on my tow hook but I‘am probably asking too much. Thanks again

Grant 302

I think you’re right. But keep in mind that tow hooks only reduce the chance that the operator needs to pull your car from another point. His job is to get get your car out as fast as possible. He’s gonna choose the easiest way he sees.

Thanks for the kind comments. I’m glad I hosted the pics on my own before we had direct uploading to BMO/TMO directly. And tgat I didn’t use photobucket.

I think you’re right. But keep in mind that tow hooks only reduce the chance that the operator needs to pull your car from another point. His job is to get get your car out as fast as possible. He’s gonna choose the easiest way he sees.

Thanks for the kind comments. I’m glad I hosted the pics on my own before we had direct uploading to BMO/TMO directly. And tgat I didn’t use photobucket.
Hey there. I hope you don’t mind me trying to PM you (never used it before) just hoping to pick your brain a little. I do understand that I’m at the mercy of the tow operator. I don’t presently have any plans of competing in any sort of timed events I’m just enjoying the smile I get at the weekend ”gentleman” track events. I like the Cobra and Shelby events where the major majority of the cars are more exotic and expensive and the drivers aren’t first timers and care a lot about their cars. So I guess I’m hoping for a little more care and consideration from the operator in case of a mishap. I would prefer to have the highest pull strength possible short of full custom fabrication. I was really excited when I saw the Cool Tech kit and thought this looked like the best option of strength versus weight for the front and rear but unfortunately is probably not an option. I don’t remember if you did the front and rear. Did it meet your expectations? If I had to make a default decision today I guess I would chose the Ford Performance M-17757-MB for the front.
As far as options for the rear I’m even more unsure. I saw a parts for sale post (sold) on here by KBBOSS1086 listed January 27, 2020, last reply March 9th by Wendy on page 5. PM’d about manufacturer and fitment for 2006 model hoping to get a reply. Blowfish secret hitch kit available at Team Beefcake racing and America Muscle. I don’t need a hitch but at least it’s a tubular bumper that attaches to the frame rails. I would hope the tubular stuff is stronger than stock. I figure that your well respected here so any words are greatly appreciate. Thanks- Aaron

Hey there. I hope you don’t mind me trying to PM you (never used it before) just hoping to pick your brain a little. I do understand that I’m at the mercy of the tow operator. I don’t presently have any plans of competing in any sort of timed events I’m just enjoying the smile I get at the weekend ”gentleman” track events. I like the Cobra and Shelby events where the major majority of the cars are more exotic and expensive and the drivers aren’t first timers and care a lot about their cars. So I guess I’m hoping for a little more care and consideration from the operator in case of a mishap. I would prefer to have the highest pull strength possible short of full custom fabrication. I was really excited when I saw the Cool Tech kit and thought this looked like the best option of strength versus weight for the front and rear but unfortunately is probably not an option. I don’t remember if you did the front and rear. Did it meet your expectations? If I had to make a default decision today I guess I would chose the Ford Performance M-17757-MB for the front.
As far as options for the rear I’m even more unsure. I saw a parts for sale post (sold) on here by KBBOSS1086 listed January 27, 2020, last reply March 9th by Wendy on page 5. PM’d about manufacturer and fitment for 2006 model hoping to get a reply. Blowfish secret hitch kit available at Team Beefcake racing and America Muscle. I don’t need a hitch but at least it’s a tubular bumper that attaches to the frame rails. I would hope the tubular stuff is stronger than stock. I figure that your well respected here so any words are greatly appreciate. Thanks- Aaron
Fail on the PM🤷‍♂️

Grant 302

I’m not sure if a minimum (post count) was recently put in for new members to be able to PM.

I don’t remember if you did the front and rear. Did it meet your expectations?

I only put front hooks in. The CoolTech mounting plates and hardware did meet my expectations, but the included screw in loop wasn’t all that confidence inspiring and a couple of us used the BMW single piece type.

And please don’t mind if I laugh a bit about the well respected part. 🤐

😁

I’m not sure if a minimum was recently put in for new members to be able to PM.

I only put front hooks in. The CoolTech mounting plates and hardware did meet my expectations, but the included screw in loop wasn’t all that confidence inspiring and a couple of us used the BMW single piece type.

And please don’t mind if I laugh a bit about the well respected part. 🤐

😁
and humble 👍

😆 Almost spat the last of my wine...

Unless you think the questions need to be private...go ahead and post.
Good deal. I figured you and some others would get a kick out of that. There was a bit of a smirk on my face but still meant it.
I do realize there is no magic pill or one size fits all. What do you think about my picks of the day? Any other “store bought” options I might not be aware of. Understandably the rear is probably more limited.
If any other respected and humble members care to chime in the more the merrier 😄

Grant 302

I think those are all good options. And similar to what I’ve considered on my future V6 project. Hitch would serve dual purpose to pull a small tire trailer too. Just a little concerned pulling anything with a V6 say up or down the grapevine. Even if it’s just tires and tools.

Mostly waiting for a friend to take his WRX so I have more space for another car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
If you’re interested in the Blowfish receiver, you should look at grabbing one sooner than later. Blowfish stopped making them, so I’m assuming the inventory left at American Muscle and others is probably it. I just picked one up from AM a few weeks ago - Leroy Engineering trailer should be here anytime.

I think those are all good options. And similar to what I’ve considered on my future V6 project. Hitch would serve dual purpose to pull a small tire trailer too. Just a little concerned pulling anything with a V6 say up or down the grapevine. Even if it’s just tires and tools.

Mostly waiting for a friend to take his WRX so I have more space for another car.
Have you seen the hitch set up in person? I’m concerned about ground clearance because my driveway is quite steep
Did you look at the sold posting here on page 5 of parts for sale? They Both look like FP ? Maybe the rear is discontinued
Grapevine as in I-5?

If you’re interested in the Blowfish receiver, you should look at grabbing one sooner than later. Blowfish stopped making them, so I’m assuming the inventory left at American Muscle and others is probably it. I just picked one up from AM a few weeks ago - Leroy Engineering trailer should be here anytime.
Thanks. Yeah I saw that the Blowfish sight said no longer available. Any ground clearance issues?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Thanks. Yeah I saw that the Blowfish sight said no longer available. Any ground clearance issues?
Haven’t mounted it yet, but without the receiver piece bolted on, I don’t think ground clearance will be any different than the stock rear valance. The removable receiver is what’s really nice about this design vs other brands.

Haven’t mounted it yet, but without the receiver piece bolted on, I don’t think ground clearance will be any different than the stock rear valance. The removable receiver is what’s really nice about this design vs other brands.
Looks like it could work for me. Should be stronger than the boltIng a tow hook on to the stock bumper. I don’t plan as needing it to tow a trailer but plans can change. If you don’t mind let me know what you think when you get it in. Dig the Fairlane. What’s powering it.

Grant 302

Have you seen the hitch set up in person? I’m concerned about ground clearance because my driveway is quite steep
Did you look at the sold posting here on page 5 of parts for sale? They Both look like FP ? Maybe the rear is discontinued
Grapevine as in I-5?
Haven’t seen it in person, but seems pretty close to the rear valence. I have a fairly steep driveway as well, but I don’t think it would be an issue.

My guess would be original FR parts. I don’t know of anybody making that style of rear and the tab on the front looks like FR.

And yes, I-5. To get to Buttonwillow or NorCal.

Haven’t seen it in person, but seems pretty close to the rear valence. I have a fairly steep driveway as well, but I don’t think it would be an issue.

My guess would be original FR parts. I don’t know of anybody making that style of rear and the tab on the front looks like FR.

And yes, I-5. To get to Buttonwillow or NorCal.
Buttonwillow is a great track. Haven’t been their in years. I was on a bike and definitely plan on taking my car there. I looked at the driving school that they have there occasionally. Know anything about it?
I think I found the rear at Watson Racing. The front bumper I found there says drag and doesn’t necessarily show a tow hook and not a whole lot of information. I might have to give them a call.
Anybody have any info or theories on whether the Blowfish (attaches on the side of the frame rails) or the Watson (Attaches on the end of the frame rails) would have a stronger pull.

Buttonwillow is a great track. Haven’t been their in years. I was on a bike and definitely plan on taking my car there. I looked at the driving school that they have there occasionally. Know anything about it?
I think I found the rear at Watson Racing. The front bumper I found there says drag and doesn’t necessarily show a tow hook and not a whole lot of information. I might have to give them a call.
Anybody have any info or theories on whether the Blowfish (attaches on the side of the frame rails) or the Watson (Attaches on the end of the frame rails) would have a stronger pull.
My theories and the real world are often at odds

Grant 302

I didn’t know there was a school at Buttonwillow. Heard good things about the school at Willow Springs, if you’re looking for something in SoCal.

Without getting into the details, I’d trust the arrangement of the Blowfish design more.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This is just me, but the way I see is there are just too many variables to contemplate before anyone can answer the above question.

Some of the variables might include the position of your spun out vehicle as related to the position of tow vehicle. Yanking your car out of trouble at a 30/45/60 degree angle might not be good for some tow hook attachment points.

Did the tow vehicle yank your vehicle or did your vehicle have excessive wheel suspension damage that greatly increases resistance to being towed? What if you mounted the tow hook on the Right side frame rail, but you planted that side into an off track guardrail?

So many variables when you think of all the ways & direction a spinning vehicle can go off track. Then consider the tow vehicle driver experience. Some are better than others, some cause damage, some don’t etc. Not all off track events are just on wet grass or in the pee gravel field where the tow vehicle has a straight shot at the front of your vehicle. If you know what I mean.

Just so hard to answer subjective ‘what if’ questions when there is no way for us to know the actual conditions or circumstances that might influence the effectiveness of one tow hook design over another.

Search YouTube or the web & look for vids that shoe you some tow/rescue vehicles pulling cars out of ditches, off guardrails or out of the cow pasture. I once saw a tow vehicle rip the front bumper cover off a car.

Just take a deep breath & order the one that keeps coming back in your mind. You’ll be fine with any one of the above mentioned tow hooks, their all good products in one way or another.

Good luck & don’t stress about this too much.

PS: If your truly interested in high performance driving, & you’re pushing the envelope so to speak, just know you will have an off track event at some point. You just don’t know the variables until after it happens. It will build your experience & character, as some never recover. Sorry for the long post. Hope this help you.

TMO Supporting Vendors