The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

recommendation for track tires for a beginner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
MH: When you had your track day school were you too a beginner in the sport of racing like the OP?

Yup, killed my OEM tires the first two track school days, and then the SO4 on the third. But we did go for two tanks of gas per day. After that, switched to Dunlop D-Z2 tires and those were fantastic. Had great grip and lasted for ever.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Melting tires in hot Chili ,er Chile, when obviously it was not chilly, interesting. Was it just the front tires and was it prior to you getting Camber plates -- just wondering?

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, that is cool Costco did that, as I believe Blacksheep may have had the same thought that occurred to me ---did she hit something or run over something?

Wow, that is cool Costco did that, as I believe Blacksheep may have had the same thought that occurred to me ---did she hit something or run over something?
It was a very hot weekend at thunderhill. There was a lot of rubber flying around, so I think it is just heat. Strange that it is on one tire only, but since it is consistent around the tire in multiple places in the same grove, I don’t think that it is mechanical...

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
See what Blacksheep thinks , but that tire really looks alot like a cut from hitting something ( whether a curb edge or debris on track ) , and I thought that might have been his inference. It was my feeling just viewing all the wear, but he is the Guru on Tires along with DaveW.

Yep, I was thinking it was mechanical as well, maybe drug it around a curbing or something, but good to hear you now have a tire sponsor..lol
;)

Follow up question. There is 8/32 thread left and Costco claim that it is fine to run only one new tire, thoughts? (other tire looks very similar minus missing rubber). Going forward these will be street tires only.

Thanks.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would say you are okay with 8/32nds, that is still a bunch of tread. Tires may look scuffed, but likely still plenty of wear left. Heck , you have to remember many DOT Comp Tires and aggressive street rubber start at only 4/32nds.

TMO Supporting Vendors