The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recommended tires for track day weekend, 19' Laguna Seca wheel set

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This might be an old question here, but any thoughts on track day tires for the 19" Laguna Seca (302R) wheels?
I'm trying not to buy another set of 18" wheels, but seems difficult to get "affordable" tires for the 19" size.
I'm a novice driver (3-5 track events per year), in California, going to Buttonwillow this weekend, Spring Mountain (maybe Chuckwalla) next month.
I see Hoosier R6's but at 265, and 295 widths (compared to 255 and 285) Not sure about rubbing issues.
Or, just stick with Max Perf Summer tires (Contis, Michellin, Hankook).
THANKS!

silverls said:
This might be an old question here, but any thoughts on track day tires for the 19" Laguna Seca (302R) wheels?
I'm trying not to buy another set of 18" wheels, but seems difficult to get "affordable" tires for the 19" size.
I'm a novice driver (3-5 track events per year), in California, going to Buttonwillow this weekend, Spring Mountain (maybe Chuckwalla) next month.
I see Hoosier R6's but at 265, and 295 widths (compared to 255 and 285) Not sure about rubbing issues.
Or, just stick with Max Perf Summer tires (Contis, Michellin, Hankook).
THANKS!
The R6s in those sizes work very well and I ran them before getting a second set of 18" track wheels. You'll pick up 2-5 seconds over the stock tires. You will also have "miles" of clearance and won't come close to rubbing.

maybe my post is for another thread and I wrote this in another thread but ive always been told to work your way up thru tires, as you stated you are a beginner. So if you are a beginner its best to stick with street/track tires, then work your way up to R-Comps as you get better and then Slick. Ive heard this from several experienced drivers and makes sense to me.

And yes it is all about fun and enjoying yourself but ive always found it weird when im on street tires and some guys car is all done up and on slicks and he is slow. Nothing wrong with being slow just seems like best to regress then and learn the car with more basic tires, no?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ian? Was good to meet you on Saturday and glad you signed up!

I have a staggered set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35 and 295/30 which are pretty good for a 300 treadwear rating. Not inexpensive, but should last longer than other options. When these are done, I'm probably going to try Hankook RS3s in 245 and 275.

Grant, which car did you drive?

Silver, are you trailering your Boss to the track?

Sesshomurai

Grant 302 said:
Ian? Was good to meet you on Saturday and glad you signed up!

I have a staggered set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35 and 295/30 which are pretty good for a 300 treadwear rating. Not inexpensive, but should last longer than other options. When these are done, I'm probably going to try Hankook RS3s in 245 and 275.

I have the RS3' s in 275 squared now. very good tire.

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
I plan on using RS3's on my new to me Enkei's in 265/40/18 and 285/35/18. I also have the PSS 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 for my street wheels.

PSS for the street have been great in the cold and rain. Still very good lateral and stopping traction. Your thoughts?

For your 18"s, do you have 9.5" and 10.5" widths? I'm considering 245 and 275 on 9" and 10" for better sidewall control, if I go with the RS3s on my 19" rims.

darreng505 said:
I have the RS3' s in 275 squared now. very good tire.

Probably going to do that for my GT's track tires...seem to be a better value than the R888s I've been looking at too.

@Grant, great meeting you at Cars n Coffee! Wish I had brought the car to earlier shows (bummer I teach on Sat mornings...)
Glad to meet up with other Boss owners, and I'm thinking of going to Chuckwalla with you guys.
Thanks for the advice as well, I ended up buying the 302R grille after seeing your Boss (didn't want to destroy the stock LS grille).
Going to keep my eye out for more track events with Boss drivers!
@NSFBOSS, thanks for all the advice as well, enjoyed reading through all your posts for setup ideas. Definitely need more track time, and I have
and will take this car to the track, dying to go to Laguna Seca (friends go all the time...) A lot of tire options, may have to break down, spend
some $$$ on an extra set of wheels.
Long story short, been to a ton of track days, but in lighter cars (I used to have an Elise). I wanted this LS since it was launched. Shopped around forever, bought it last March in Texas, new, drove it home (fun breaking it in). Spring Mountain and Streets last year. Just found out I'm transferring to japan this summer. Was going to sell the car, but just decided to keep it, store it, but enjoy the hell out of it before I go.

Grant 302

Wow...Japan should be fun! Just a bit of a change from SoCal... :eek:

Would late June be too late for a trip to Laguna Seca? Lots of driving events at LS starting next month. But I want to go when it's too hot here in SoCal...

NFSBOSS said:
I plan on using RS3's on my new to me Enkei's in 265/40/18 and 285/35/18. I also have the PSS 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 for my street wheels.

I received the RS-3's today. I got the 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 for the 9.5 and 10.5 Enkei. I just burned thru the Nitto NT555R2 last weekend and think these will be close and hopefully last a little longer. I may not use them until chuckwalla though, and will post how they compare.

motoviper said:
I received the RS-3's today. I got the 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 for the 9.5 and 10.5 Enkei. I just burned thru the Nitto NT555R2 last weekend and think these will be close and hopefully last a little longer. I may not use them until chuckwalla though, and will post how they compare.
I'm interested in your comparison between the RS3's and 555 II's. You may have to let Gary take a spin in your Boss so he can compare as he keeps Nitto in business the way he burns through the 555 II's. ;D

Yes. I hope they are at least close. The Nitto's were by far the best grip so far but they only lasted 4 days (about 8 hours) and I hope these last longer. I am confident that they will be very good grip wise. My friend is going to compare his 19" RS3 on his boss in the 305 and 275 on his LS wheels with mine. He just got those also and they look nice.

TMO Supporting Vendors