RECON Racing New Edge Coyote

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by reconracing, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Great article!

Have you considered using a 2018 intake manifold?

reconracing likes this.
  2. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Recon,

Great morning read and good chance we may meet at the track sometime, since I do hit some of the Midwest Tracks. Check your calendar for September 12-15 as it would be absolutely fantastic if you could make it to the Mustang Roundup. There were 11 TMO members at the event last year , and likely even more will show up this year? This is a bucket list event if you are a Mustang track rat and I know we would all love to see your beast !

Check out www.racemph.com for info and I know many of us will keep updated on your rebuild. Way cool about the story in SCCA and please continue to let us know about any other articles you do, besides what you will post here. Super fun group here and there are quite a few service personnel or members of service families on the site.

reconracing likes this.
  3. spartan

spartan TMO Addict

Thank you for your service. Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reconracing likes this.
  4. reconracing

reconracing TMO Intermediate

I am very interested in running a 2018 intake! I have gone back and forth on it. While I would love to run one I have a lot of other areas that cash can go towards. If I can find a great deal on one I will likely grab one but I am not in a rush to change much on the engine at this point. I would like to get a feel for what the new setup will do before I go looking for more power. The new setup should have more power then my 4.6 2v and 2.1l Kenne Bell had and I estimate I will be nearly 200lbs lighter just from the engine swap.

Coz likes this.
  5. reconracing

I would love to attend and September is normally open for me but unfortunately this year I have a wedding to attend that weekend... while I would love to get out of that I know the wife would not be happy.

6. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Yes, would agree that would not make your wife happy ----many of us would be in the same boat.

reconracing likes this.
  7. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

The Cobra tank will work well. There is many aftermarket companies that have fuel pumps that will support that tank in a return fuel system. Your running a newer Krc PS pump than the one I have on my race car. Looks amazing. They work fine. No complaints. Plumb a ps cooler when your get to that point.

reconracing and Grant 302 like this.
  8. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

If you made the wrong choice, it would be a sinking boat...........

reconracing and Bill Pemberton like this.
  9. reconracing

It has been a crazy year already. I am all moved into my new house and shop. Both are a disaster still, lots of unpacking and organizing needed yet. A buddy and I are rebuilding a Manitowoc Lift 9k auto lift. I hoped to have it installed already but haven't been able to prioritize it. Attended the Skip Barber Racing School 2-day advanced class in March and applied for my SCCA Competition license.

I also drove the 14 hour ChampCar Endurance race at Charlotte in April.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put the Coyote into the RECON Racing Mustang a couple weeks ago. Still needs a lot of work before I can start it up. I am working on plumbing and electrical currently. Does anyone know if -10 or -12 should be used for the oiling system? The Ford Performance adapter I bought used -12 fittings but I see many are using -10. I wouldn't mind using a -12 but I cannot find a 3/4 NPT check valve for for oil accumulator. I figure if I can only find a 1/2 check valve then the whole system should just match it instead of having a bottleneck. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

July I will be driving a 95 Coyote swapped Cobra in the 20 hour ChampCar event at Indy Motor Speedway.
    [​IMG]

Grant 302 likes this.
  10. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

My opinion is that -10 is fine for the oil system. Great work so far, and good luck buttoning it up!

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  11. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

I run -10 line for the oil cooling loop on my race car.

12. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

I thought 1/2" pipe was -8? -10 would be 5/8" and -12 is 3/4".

There was an article or a post a long ago, back in 2012 or so, and I think it was quoting Dean Martin about oil line sizes for Coyote race applications. My memory is vague, but I think the article said to run the biggest hoses you had fittings for and that -12 was preferred. It might have been advocating -10 though - it was a while back.

Resistance to flow is cumulative, so even when there's a restriction, big hoses on either side are a good thing. I'd use the biggest hoses that will fit for the main engine to filter to cooler loop and have the only place where the system necks down be an adapter located at the accumulator where it goes to 1/2" NPT or whatever the accumulator fitting is.

13. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

I think you've recited most of that correctly, but I think the data is misleading on the importance of the line diameter. One could gasp at the differences in percentage of the losses and say that the -10 line will have 300% of the pressure drop that a -12 line will in the same installation. But if it's quantified at some specific pumping volume over 12 feet of line at -1.5 psi vs -0.5 psi...the difference seems less important. Personally, I think making sure there's enough oil in the sump in the upper RPM range and high lateral acceleration is more important.