The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

regarding the side exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
Nccstud said:
I just need to figure out how thick the disc actually is and then I could play around and cut my own disc at work depending on how thick it actually is. Make a few different sized holes in a couple different ones and plug and play until I find which one I like best ;)
Welcome, good to see you here. Here's a photo but no exact dimensions. I think your idea is a good business opportunity for you. ;) I doubt I'll want mine as loud as no disc but I suspect I'll want it a bit louder than stock.

A bit of trivia- Ford used a baffle in the center of the H-pipe to tune the sound for the '08 Bullitt. They experimented with different sizes until they got the sound just right. The Bullitt has a really nice and unique exhaust note. I never understand why people pull the exhaust off for Magnaflow or Borlas- personal taste I guess.

Electric cutouts would be cool. Even if they aren't worth any power. But I'd bet they would be worth a few HP. Cat back systems on the 5.0 motors are about 10hp. No reason that bypassing the "cat back" portion of the system wouldn't produce the same gains.

It would be a lot of fun to show up at the track, open up the exhuast, drive something that sounds like it should be at the track and then close em up and go home.

And it would be fun to freak people out on the street every once in a while. ;D

RoadRacer78 said:
Electric cutouts would be cool. Even if they aren't worth any power. But I'd bet they would be worth a few HP. Cat back systems on the 5.0 motors are about 10hp. No reason that bypassing the "cat back" portion of the system wouldn't produce the same gains.

It would be a lot of fun to show up at the track, open up the exhuast, drive something that sounds like it should be at the track and then close em up and go home.

I like the way you think. ;D

RoadRacer78 said:

I like this too. Rumor is that there is a HP gain from uncorking the side pipes. ;)

RoadRacer78 said:

Amen on all counts ;D I talked to a buddy of mine this morning that has them on a street rod and they're activated by remote control. No switch required to wire into the dash. I hope FRPP's solution uses a remote.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
I hope FRPP's solution uses a remote.
That would be very cool.
Yeah, that would be a riot! My 2007 is pretty mellow sounding. Just a Magnaflow cat back and a catted X-pipe on it. But I would love to have some “ricer” pull up next to me and rip his “fart can” just so I could flip the switch and re-arrange his internal organs with a few blips of the throttle. Then maybe smoke the tires off from a 75mph roll just to cement American Iron superiority.

A little childish? Absolutely! ;D

RoadRacer78 said:
But I would love to have some “ricer” pull up next to me and rip his “fart can” just so I could flip the switch and re-arrange his internal organs with a few blips of the throttle. Then maybe smoke the tires off from a 75mph roll just to cement American Iron superiority.

Will is smoke them at 75??? And you mean American Aluminum superiority right? ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
Will is smoke them at 75??? And you mean American Aluminum superiority right? ;)
Oh yeah, with the 295 BFG Comp TA's all it takes is a dip of the clutch and its a smoke show! Fun stuff! ;D

If you roll into it in third with the traction control on it will “trip it”. I’m about to throw some R888’s at it with 305’s on the rear. I’m hoping for a little more traction but I don’t want to break my Torsen so I will never put drag radials or slicks on it.

superiority
Damn spell check got me. ::)

atrain1975

5 DOT 0 said:
Nccstud said:
I just need to figure out how thick the disc actually is and then I could play around and cut my own disc at work depending on how thick it actually is. Make a few different sized holes in a couple different ones and plug and play until I find which one I like best ;)
Welcome, good to see you here. Here's a photo but no exact dimensions. I think your idea is a good business opportunity for you. ;) I doubt I'll want mine as loud as no disc but I suspect I'll want it a bit louder than stock.

P1010652.jpg

Does anybody know whether the disc is the thick spacer-looking thing between the bolted ends, or does that spacer-thing have a disc inside? I ask because the disc is supposed to be easily removable, but I would think if the disc were 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick, one would need a spacer to fill the gap.

RoadRacer78 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
I hope FRPP's solution uses a remote.
That would be very cool.
Yeah, that would be a riot! My 2007 is pretty mellow sounding. Just a Magnaflow cat back and a catted X-pipe on it. But I would love to have some “ricer” pull up next to me and rip his “fart can” just so I could flip the switch and re-arrange his internal organs with a few blips of the throttle. Then maybe smoke the tires off from a 75mph roll just to cement American Iron superiority.

ROFLMAO! Sounds a LOT like my GT500. Just rolling too hard into the throttle ANYWHERE in 2nd gear and they are up in smoke up to 70 mph. A little clutch action in 3rd and you can do it too. If it's too cool out you don't even need clutch in 3rd. I pulled out to pass a guy on a 2 lane last spring in 50+ degree temps and rolled into the throttle hard in 3rd and went by him sideways :eek:

cloud9 said:
ROFLMAO! Sounds a LOT like my GT500. Just rolling too hard into the throttle ANYWHERE in 2nd gear and they are up in smoke up to 70 mph. A little clutch action in 3rd and you can do it too. If it's too cool out you don't even need clutch in 3rd. I pulled out to pass a guy on a 2 lane last spring in 50+ degree temps and rolled into the throttle hard in 3rd and went by him sideways :eek:
There's a battle of the supercars episode with a 1000 hp GT500 and Tanner Foust commented that he jumped on the throttle at 100 mph and lit up the tires. That would be fun. ;D

All I can say is thank goodness for TCS off. Just wish I could program it to turn it off on ignition and turn it on IF I ever wanted it. Sounds like it's an extra step or two in the Boss versus just pushing a button.

cloud9 said:
All I can say is thank goodness for TCS off. Just wish I could program it to turn it off on ignition and turn it on IF I ever wanted it. Sounds like it's an extra step or two in the Boss versus just pushing a button.
My traction control is in my right foot or right wrist. ;D

p01.jpg

On the Boss show one of the engineers said that the spacer was the size of a standard electric remote dump valve. So that it would be easy for buyers to put one on if they wanted. If you look some of the early cars didn't have that spacer just the thin shim between the two flanges. Now that's what I remember hearing I can't swear that is how it will turn out.

All of the photos I've seen show a two bolt flange. All the electric dump valves I can find have three bolts. It certainly can be made, but I haven't seen one that matches up yet.

Just found this, doubt its the right size, but its a start.
http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/product_info.php?products_id=3489&osCsid=73794ea032f55a79cca6040f533a0bec

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
5 DOT 0 said:
codyl said:
Just found this, doubt its the right size, but its a start.
http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/product_info.php?products_id=3489&osCsid=73794ea032f55a79cca6040f533a0bec
Looks promising. FRPP will have a set available in 30-60 days. Welcome to BMO.
Read on another forum that Quick Time Performance was working with Ford on dump valves for the Boss and confirmed that within 30-60 days they would be available through FRPP.

TMO Supporting Vendors