The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

regarding the side exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I've been thinking about the side exhaust and the way that Ford has put it together so I thought I'd speculate a bit.

In looking at the photos we have all seen the two bolt flanges and thought Ford would release an electric dump valve. If Ford didn't plan on putting out a product for this application the flange would have three bolts as all of the aftermarket products have three.

My question is will this really be necessary? Factory exhausts ALWAYS sound better that what the aftermarket puts out. Think I'm crazy? The fact is, the reason that everyone puts an aftermarket exhaust on their mustang is sound volume not quality. In light of the fact that aftermarket exhaust don't even make more power these days, these mods are designed to give a car an aggressive sound that regulators will not allow from the factory. How many posts do we see on various boards about drone? Factory exhausts do not drone.

So the question in my mind is, how loud will the exhaust be without the attenuation disks (whatever that means) installed. I THINK it will be pretty loud. My expectation is that it will be a bit louder than what most will find acceptible to drive through their neighborhood on a regular basis. So what to do?

My speculation based on having looked at a lot of factory mufflers/resonators etc, is that whatever Ford is using to restrict the exhaust and sound output of the side exhaust will be able to be massaged by the owner. In other words, I expect that we will find a plate with either a tiny hole in it or possibly a few holes that blocks the output. Disassemble, drill out said holes just a bit, put back together for a test run to see if you have reached the desired acceptable level on for street driving. Going to the track? Take them out. Afterwords, put back in and it still sounds really really good. I don't think we will see Boss owners installing aftermarket systems once this ability has been figured out.

I think what we are about to find is that ford has given us a factory exhaust system that can be TUNED by the owner from "aggressive but nice on the street" to "insane".

Think about this - we have the intake piping that can be tuned via how many of those little foam things are in it and will likely have side pipes that can be tuned as well. Maybe this is what Ford has been saying about "enveloping you in sound" as the system seems alot like a surround sound system with a center channel (intake), rear (tailpipes) and side speakers (like in a movie theater).

atrain1975

I like your analysis. I'm spending more than I should on the Boss, so my plans for mods are extremely limited. I need to budget for the Trackey tune, window tint, possibly winter tires and spare wheels (or perhaps just different, more versatile tires), and perhaps the dump valve. Price and my experience in the car after taking delivery will inform me of the priority of these items, except that I consider the Trackey tune a must. If Ford's electronic dump valves are stupid expensive, I'll just remove the disks and coast on to and off of my street to avoid waking the neighbors.

If there's no performance gain to removing them, what is the logic of removing them at the track......unless it's all :wink: :wink: regarding getting by the "street legal" issue? My guess is the discs can be removed and it's not going to sound like a car with open headers.

Mark said:
I think what we are about to find is that ford has given us a factory exhaust system that can be TUNED by the owner from "aggressive but nice on the street" to "insane".

Think about this - we have the intake piping that can be tuned via how many of those little foam things are in it and will likely have side pipes that can be tuned as well. Maybe this is what Ford has been saying about "enveloping you in sound" as the system seems alot like a surround sound system with a center channel (intake), rear (tailpipes) and side speakers (like in a movie theater).
I think you've nailed it here. From my previous thread on the exhause there doesn't appear to be any performance gain by removing the discs so I'll probably just leave them alone. I'm sure the car will be plenty loud for my taste as delivered. I prefer operating in stealth mode.

I was unaware you could tune the intake, anyone got a link on this?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
I was unaware you could tune the intake, anyone got a link on this?

He's talking about the sound tube that transmits engine noise into the cabin, not the intake itself.

atrain1975

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/sound-tube-delete-487693/

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Z06 currently has vacuum-actuated muffler "bypasses" that allow for the exhaust to have a straight shot through the muffler instead of a full routing through the baffling/packing. Not sure if they're working on a full muffler bypass or what.

Anyone that's interested in learning more about "dump valves" aka "electric cutouts" should go here: http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

Currently the biggest roadblock that I can see is that the BOSS flange connections for the sidepipes are only two bolts--most aftermarket stuff I've seen uses a three-bolt flange configuration. The Ford rep at Barrett Jackson mentioned that FRPP is working on an electric setup specifically for the BOSS, however. No clue on when that will be available or what the pricing will be.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Big Vito said:
do you think FRPP will have one?

That's what the Ford Rep at Barrett Jackson said. I wouldn't call that ironclad, but that's the best info we have so far.

I just need to figure out how thick the disc actually is and then I could play around and cut my own disc at work depending on how thick it actually is. Make a few different sized holes in a couple different ones and plug and play until I find which one I like best ;)

Nccstud said:
I just need to figure out how thick the disc actually is and then I could play around and cut my own disc at work depending on how thick it actually is. Make a few different sized holes in a couple different ones and plug and play until I find which one I like best ;)
Welcome, good to see you here. Here's a photo but no exact dimensions. I think your idea is a good business opportunity for you. ;) I doubt I'll want mine as loud as no disc but I suspect I'll want it a bit louder than stock.

P1010652.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors