The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

rehabbing race tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those of you scoring at home, this is how it's done...

Locate your traction enhancer, solution voodoo milk, panther pee or goat whiz..whatever you prefer, gather a paint roller, heat gun, scraper, wrap (or plastic bags) some tape and an old rag (not the one you drive)..

start by heating up the surface of the tire and scraping away all the old "pickup" this will allow the traction enhancer to penetrate into the tire and not into the "pickup" on the surface..

qrCTCInl.jpg

and a before and after shot of 2 tires before and after scraping..

epBCqQll.jpg

then pour out the traction crud and roll onto the tire..

eyvdxDtl.jpg

WmgHFh5l.jpg

after the tire is saturated then use and old rag to "burnish" the solution into the tire

oFCkrbzl.jpg

km3rfV0l.jpg

after that wrap the tire in the plastic wrap or put it in a large garbage bag and seal it up. The idea is to let the tire traction solution cure into the tire

sqkpFdUl.jpg

and voila! a set of tires to be kept in a cool dry spot until needed. don't worry if the wrap "melts" into the tire, it's not a problem and once the tires are mounted then you can roll on one last coat of traction enhancer.

abQ4D0fl.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Circle track vendors sell this stuff, it's called Goat piss. If you use it be careful to watch tire wear, it makes them sticky, but is really accelerates wear. We used to treat our drag slicks like this back in the day.

http://www.checkeredflagracingshop.com/category/products/tire-prep/

Steve

Tucson302 said:
Nice! Where do you get the traction enhancer and what is it called/priced?

There are a million different types of traction "juice" including some home brew. Probably Formula V would be the best to use over all. If they race dirt karts in your area, then check out the local kart shop, those guys have elevated tire treatments into the next level.

Interesting.
The process prescribed here identical to the process for RC cars :D

1) Clean tire
2) Apply traction compound
3) Rub into tire
4) Seal it
5) Let it cure
6) It will accelerate wear

I wonder if the goop/goat piss is the same type of stuff used for RC too (and which one is more economical to use).
FWIW a good way to clean off tire pickup is blasting brake cleaner on a rag and rubbing into the rubber. Melts away the bad stuff (uhh at least for RC cars...ok I'll shut up about toy cars now)...

Grant 302 said:
Just so I understand correctly, this is best done on tires that are a little old or heat cycled out?

Yes, used tires, I would not recommend and it shouldn't be necessary on new tires.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi BlackSheep1

Thank you for this post and pics, the heat gun an scraper method really does a nice prep. I have two sets of Conti Scrubs that I will try this on next month before I hit my local track. Very timely post.
Regards,
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel